Technology & Social Media how do you get your laptop to online when you are out about?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Eric Wu, 24th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

:eek::eek::eek:

Scott No Mates likes this.
  2. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

mikey7 and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I just use mobile tethering as well.

As soon as my contract with Vodafone ends in August, I'm going to switch to something like Optus' 140GB/mth for $70 and ditch my home NBN connection altogether too.
    Then add my wife into their cheapest plan possible because the data is pooled if the plans on the same bill, which they would be.

Wireless is the future.. cant wait for 5G and massive (possibly unlimited) data plans!
    The US has had unlimited mobile data plans for some time now.. only a matter of time before one of the Telco's bites the bullet and offers the same.

Eric Wu likes this.
  4. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

We have remote access setup on our laptops to login to our work server form home or on the road, but our IT guy has said that iphone's running later than iOS9 don't allow access to PPTP vpn access via hotspot.

They are looking into updating the VPN settings, but is there an easier fix to this issue (apart from going to an andriod phone)?

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The wifi provider has the ability to store and read all of the data you send and receive. Not a problem for secure sites such as banking, but your emails are very easy to read and it's incredibly easy to see what websites you're visiting or what apps you're using.

This is no different from your internet service provider at home. I believe they're required by the government to record all the data you send and receive.

A VPN will encrypt the data between your phone and the VPN provider. The wifi provider can see your sending and receiving data but can't read any of it. A good VPN provider would be one that guarantees that they don't log any of your data.

Granted this site is somewhat aimed at anonymity for piracy purposes, but it has a great list of VPN providers that help protect your privacy online.

Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017? - TorrentFreak

Eric Wu likes this.