How do you decide when and by how much to increase rent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbinv82, 16th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I also value the time and effort that it requires to have IPs. A stress free tenant is worth far more to me than $10 per week (minus tax!). I’ve had whingey tenants before and they drove me mad and cost me a lot of money. Imagine that x10 !! I don’t want to deal with that. Luckily I’ve never had non-paying tenant.

melbinv82 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, speaking from experience, I've had over 10 IP's, mostly long term and all pay market rent. Whiners get moved along.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In the past when we've let the rent slip behind for various reasons, house needing repaint, old crappy kitchen needing to be replaced, but offer to do so in exchange for higher rent has been declined (which is fine with us), then I've actually waited in the lead up to needing to notify of a rent increase and watched what is available on re.com. If a better house is there, I'll wait until it is gone, and then send a link to similar houses in the area, and justify why I need to raise the rent.

That doesn't stop tenants looking for themselves, but at least I know what they are going to find.

And I agree that creeping it up $5 or $10 is unlikely to have them move on, but we have had that happen. If someone is wavering about staying anyway, that has been enough to have them move. Generally, that means we can advertise for that much and a bit more and get new tenants in at a higher rent.

But the lost week or two and one week cost to install a new tenant wipes out the small increase I'd asked for.

You need to be smart and know what else is on offer.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, but again, it's still market rent for the property in the current condition. Knowing what is on offer, is knowing what the market is. We've got one that is in need of painting. Happy tenants that don't want to move, so we'll paint when they do. The home is market rent for the current condition. When it does get painted, the rent will go up again as it will be in better condition.

And in your example of them wavering about, then they are thinking of going anyway. If they leave 6 months early, they're still leaving, but doing it a little sooner. It's swings and roundabouts.

5. wylie

I agree generally.

Our problem is that our houses are not big Queenslanders, one is a cottage type and the other slightly larger, three bedrooms, one bathroom. One level.

For the same rent in the past, tenants can move five minutes away and get a four bedroom, two living room house, sometimes with a pool.

For years, I've wondered why they don't move to the larger, newer house, but lots of people want to live in a pretty Queenslander. We've had three lots of tenants move further out to get twice the living area, so it is a genuine concern when we look at raising the rent. I find it a balance between pushing too hard, and risk them actually realising what they can get if they are happy to leave.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I understand. It's sometimes hard to see what the motivation is sometimes. I look at how much I can get in a low socio area, and sometimes not that for away is much nicer, bigger homes for not a great deal more, and I wonder why you wouldn't go for the better home (I would) if you've got the income for it (and a lot do).

melbinv82 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Change of tenant means vacant period, loss rental. You might need to do minor touch up and cleaning, that's $. Also, if you end up a "not so good" tenant, imagine all the costs associated with it. There were horror stories told on PC. :)

melbinv82, bmc and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t …

For $500 it’s just not worth it when they are good tenants … and in this market IMHO

melbinv82 likes this.
  9. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Which market are you in?
    The one I'm in means that getting a new tenant means almost certainly additional $50-$100 pw rent.
    Around here, there are no rentals, vacancy rate is something with lots of zeros after the decimal point.

For each rental there are tens(!) of people coming, trying to apply.

The OP is around my area.
    His tenant won't move an inch cause they know the houses around them cost more then whatever the raise is.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

The whinger gets a bigger rental increase. :eek:

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've done that too.

12. melbinv82

melbinv82 Well-Known Member

Update regarding my ip. Sent a request for rental increase to $370(increase of $10) via pm.

Tenant did not want to continue renting if rent was increased. I guess it is their bluff.

But for me it was not worth the risk of them actually moving out, with the lockdown and so many people in unstable employment in Melbourne. If I have to find new tenant it would cost me at least $1000 in lost rent/ad cost etc.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I ask the advice of the Real Estate property manager.

I have noticed that the property managers don’t tend to raise the suggestion of a rent increase themselves - I always have to bring it up.

Had the discussion last week and (for an older, middle ring suburb in Melbourne, 60s house, 3 bedrooms, 2 living areas) they are suggesting up to a $15 a week increase.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The proactive ones do.

15. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

I think a lot of property managers are tenants themselves which might have something to do with it. In Victoria, I think we can only put the rent up once a year now. Had to organise rent safe inspections to comply etc etc.

Michael Mitchell and melbinv82 like this.
  16. wylie

Our PM also is raising our rents as leases are coming up. We had one tenant push back so we backed down and increased it slightly less than was suggested.

In the case of a $370 per week rental, if they push back at the $10 I also would not rock the boat, but see how things are at next renewal. Lockdown and job instability risk is real right now. Losing that tenant, if they call your bluff, would see you lose more than the $520 a year you'd get with the $10 a week increase.

melbinv82 likes this.
  17. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Oh! That's, if you ask me, the wrong move on your behalf.
    You showed your hand, they didn't.
    If you pull back now, the tenant will have the feeling you're in his pocket and it's never a good thing.

Check vacancy rates in Cranbourne. I think you'll find it's very very low, meaning you'll re-rent very quickly. Maybe even for higher then $10 pw increase for the new rent.

A tenant that is willing to play chicken on $10 pw with the LL is not good news.

18. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

BTW, I had property near you, in Berwick up until 9 months ago and it was in the midst of the lockdowns.
    It was sold as IP and the new owner not only found tenants within a week, they also paid 6 months in advance just to secure the place.

Currently I'm up the hills from you, about to get rid of my tenants, and I already have someone waiting for them to move out.
    Vacancy rates are very very low this end of town. You tenant knows they have nowhere better to go.

19. wylie

@Ronen you know this area well, so I'll accept your advice might be better than mine, but if they do leave, that could be another week's rent while the next tenant is organised. I wonder if pushing for the $10 really is worth it?

MB18 likes this.
  20. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Look, it's your call.
    No one can predict the future.

I reckon, based on the information I have, that you won't have a major loss. But my information is very partial.
    My main problem is that you showed your hand and now it's a power play. If you're backing off now - it sends a message I personally wouldn't want my tenants to have.

It's a gamble. It always is. But it's part of the game.

EDIT: I thought it was the OP.... So my answer was to the OP rather then @wylie

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2021