How do torrens title duplexes get approved?

Discussion in 'Development' started by scientist, 18th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I want to understand the mechanism behind its approval - i.e. which rules allow this, because after careful reading of the DCP I cannot understand how they exist

Council in question is Parramatta - but I think it would be the same case across many councils in Sydney

The issue is the DCP requires min lot size of 550sqm for torrens subdivision, and min. 600sqm for dual occ. If I have a 600sqm block and 15m frontage, I can build a side by side duplex, allowing for strata subdivision and 300sqm per dwelling - this I understand. Why, then, on realestate.com.au etc I sometimes see for sale "Torrens duplex! 350sqm" etc - how do these exist? Is it some sort of SEPP trick, or some sort of case by case exception to rules granted by the council during DA?

Ruby truong likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Planning rules change.

The_Billy likes this.
  3. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's one reason, but I'm seeing them for sale now, brand new so i guess they could have been built up to 3 or so years ago and still look brand new - and Parramatta DCP latest is 2011 version so... unlikely recently changed

4. srod1978

srod1978 Member

Hi Scientist, did you ever get an answer to your question?

5. Vantage15

Vantage15 Member

Check out Clause 4.1 of the Parramatta Local Environmental Plan (LEP). Item 4B looks to allow an exception to the minimum lot size requirements where there is a dual occupancy on the existing lot and each of the new lots will have one dwelling on each. I believe you would need to get approval for a dual occupancy on the original lot, complete the works, and then later apply for a one into two lot subdivision.

NSW Legislation

Hope this helps as a starting point.

srod1978, Fabs and Aaron Sice like this.
  6. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

The year in the title of a DCP or LEP means the last time there was a major overhaul, however these documents receive some minor updates every year or so.

jaybean and srod1978 like this.
  7. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

Hi mate, I just did a Dual Occ for a client in Parra Council. Refer to Clause 4.1 (4b) of PLEP, there is no minimum lot size for dual occupancy and that applies to new and exisiting developments.

This applies to R2, R3 and R4 zones.

Other key notable controls are minimum frontage (15m) and minimum lot size (600m2)

Don't forget FSR and deep soil (parra council are big on deep soil)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ruby truong likes this.
  8. Ruby truong

Ruby truong New Member

Hi mate, im now having exactly same situation with you and finding the answer. Have you got your answer yet? Can you plz share?

9. Ruby truong

Ruby truong New Member

im having same question with the poster, can you consult? I has just purchased & planning to build & subdivide later on. Finding right person to do from a to z.