Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

How do torrens title duplexes get approved?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by scientist, 18th Jun, 2016.

1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I want to understand the mechanism behind its approval - i.e. which rules allow this, because after careful reading of the DCP I cannot understand how they exist

Council in question is Parramatta - but I think it would be the same case across many councils in Sydney

The issue is the DCP requires min lot size of 550sqm for torrens subdivision, and min. 600sqm for dual occ. If I have a 600sqm block and 15m frontage, I can build a side by side duplex, allowing for strata subdivision and 300sqm per dwelling - this I understand. Why, then, on realestate.com.au etc I sometimes see for sale "Torrens duplex! 350sqm" etc - how do these exist? Is it some sort of SEPP trick, or some sort of case by case exception to rules granted by the council during DA?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Planning rules change.

3. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's one reason, but I'm seeing them for sale now, brand new so i guess they could have been built up to 3 or so years ago and still look brand new - and Parramatta DCP latest is 2011 version so... unlikely recently changed