Cars & Motorbikes how do I move on (car buying issue)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by sandyfeet, 14th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Hi all, following on from my previous thread, I am looking for any wisdom relating to purchasing a used car. We have narrowed it down to several different types of cars that fit our criteria but I am confused what to do.

We are looking for a car that is MY14-17, less than 70,000kms, less than $14K and can fit a surfboard. Safety and reliability is also a factor as it will be good to have a second option for our three year old. Base model Corolla, Mazda 3, Cerato and i30 are what we are considering.

Average prices seem to be advertised around $14-15k for Corolla and Mazda 3 and $13-14K for Cerato and i30 (all other things being equal). I was leaning toward the Cerato and a friend who unlike me, is very knowledgable with cars, thinks the Corolla and Mazda are better built vehicles that will be more reliable long term. He has also suggested looking into Pickles auctions. A MY15+ Cerato will come with warranty until 2022+ providing all other services have been met.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me? Has anyone purchased one of the mentioned vehicles and would like to sing its praises or otherwise?

I hate shopping for undies so this is giving me a real headache!!

Any help appreciated, Thanks!

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If that's the case...Corolla. any day of the week.

Backup plan would be a Mazda. They're great too.

The Koreans are great cars but parts are expensive.

sandyfeet likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Please don't buy a Holden.

Go Corolla and Mazda.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

The Cruze is a lemon. For the love of all things holy...don't do it!!!

gman65 likes this.
  6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Toyota dropped the ball with the development of the Corolla for a while - think they became complacent because there wasn't really much in that space that was a strong competitor. Along came Mazda with the 3.... I'd look at one of them.

If you do go Korean my preferance is the i30 ahead of the Cerato (it feels like a much better car); the advantage of going down this route is you should be able to tap into the end of the factory backed warranty. This may not count for much though, if you're intending on keeping it for 10 years. Kinda like a 1 year fixed rate on your investment loan for a property to intend to keep long term :)

sandyfeet likes this.
  7. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Considered a Nissan pulsar? Roomiest of the small hatches, decent fuel economy (I get about 6.2l/100) not a drivers car and not at all good looking but is roomy a hell of a lot quieter inside than a Mazda 3. Well built but nothing looks flashy at all and likely lacks features that the others have (base model has cruise and Bluetooth, but I miss the keyless ignition and heated mirrors from my previous car)

8. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Yep cant agree.more

9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Cerato, if you get a 2 year old one it will still have 5 years warranty and more warranty than a new Corolla. A 2 year old Corolla will cost as much as a new Cerato and only have 1 year warranty left , at least they used to. Kia parts are cheap but you wont need to buy any they are reliable and will be covered by warrantee any way. The guy who does my wheel alignments said the suspension is as good or better than the most expensive cars. Cruze are crap, late models Mazda and Corolla are overated , there is little difference in how cars are made these days. I think Cerato would give best value for money.

10. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

My Hyundai I35 fell apart after 2 years and 60,000kms.

Every failure from AC pump to rear differential failure to sun shades rattling and cracking to door trim unsticking over time.

I loved the car its a great 2L Turbo diesel amazing but its back at the shop monthly at the end.

2nd hand I would go Japanese.

Corlloa is great but boring Mazda 3 is similar.

If going Korean make sure all I are dotted and Ts crossed.
    Make sure all services were done and preferable at dealership not private.
    As I said I had endless issues.

IF going VW avoid DSG auto. They have plenty normal Toque converter autos.(Make sure warranty is their)

11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Kia ,Hyundai parts are NOT cheap.
    An example a rear differential for my IX35 was $5500 + Installation.

12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I had this experience as well with my old Kia. Was $1200 for a "special" power steering cable, my mechanic said that if I had owned a Toyota it would have been $80.....

I threw my support behind these business practices by selling the Kia and buying a corolla. Very happy that I did.

gman65 likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Watch for new models from both companies soon to be released

Mazda istop and other tech is being shared with Toyota. In exchange Toyota is sharing new electric cell technology with Mazda and rollout will start with the Corolla / Mazda 3 pairs. Both companies save billions by sharing rather than trying to redesign what they already do well. Both are changing body styling with some new shapes. An anti-Korean thing ? Emphasis on Japanese design and quality.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.