How do I know if I can build on my land?

Discussion in 'Development' started by johndspecter, 7th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. johndspecter

johndspecter New Member

Hi All,

Inherited a run-down home from grandparents.

Considering knocking it down and building a duplex.

How do I find out if it's even possible to build on this land? We've been advised to get a soil report and look into the zoning.

We do plan to get professional advice from a conveyancer, but, wanted to think out loud and get the opinion from others on here first.

Any help would be appreciated!

John

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

All you have to do is go to the local council and ask what zoning you land is.
    If there's a house it's 99% chance residential.
    They'll probably suggest a local LEP plan so you can see exactly what can or can't be done in that zoning.

johndspecter and AxeLy like this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

What council area are you in? Their website should have access to their land zoning maps and Development Control Plans etc. should not take too long to figure it out.

johndspecter likes this.
  4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

You won't need a soil report (at this stage). Starting point is the zoning and planning controls - most likely you will be "able" to build, but the planning controls may influence what will be permitted. A conveyancer is unlikely to be helpful
    Step 1 - call the Council ask about the zone and what it means. if you can't get help there contact a town planner to obtain that information, and go from there

5. Phill74

Phill74 Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but when considering or doing a development is there a checklist or list of procedures / tasks that people follow?

I have a 1,000 sqm block in Bendigo with a small 1940's house on it with street frontage front & back. Thinking of developing to put 2 duplex's on it.

6. MarieMelbournite

MarieMelbournite New Member

What zoning is the block? Are there overlays? Search your address here Search for a planning report and then you can search the zone and overlay names/ codes that come up and these will tell you what's allowable. It's not always easy to understand but it's a start.

jjbeagle and Phill74 like this.
  7. Tufan Chakir

The problem with a checklist is that each property is different. Yes, there's a process, but the complexity of zones, overlays, local policies, client objectives, easements etc etc makes it quite a complication process to unravel and understand

Phill74 likes this.
  8. Tufan Chakir

Yes, but also note that is one layer of controls, and not detailed. Also the term "allowable" is a little misleading. Just because you think you "comply" with provisions, and many are subjective, it doesn't mean a proposal will be "allowed" or a permit granted.

Sackie and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A conveyancer helps buy / sell property to effect a change of ownership / title. They cant help your question. Try a town planner in the local area. They can assess the site for its best use and will know what works and even get plans arranged and can ensure its something council may approve. I often see people suggest a duplex who then learn that 3 x t/houses will be much more profitable. They will know all the costs surrounding planning approval but the start point is whether is feasible. eg Plan to keep or sell ? Total project costs etc

jjbeagle likes this.
  10. Phill74

Phill74 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I assume the next step is to talk to a town planner.

Attached Files:

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  11. Tufan Chakir

Yes, but one who understands design as well - you need parameters AND solutions

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't waste time with council( who are often clueless and superficial themselves) or trying to interpret zoning reports, bits and pieces of overlay information. It's all a waste of time to me. If I know X development is generally allowed in X area, I'll engage a great town planner from that point on for specific expert advice on the local council and specific sites I have in mind. They will also be able to advise on possible solutions/alternatives. A good town planner is worth their weight in gold.

jjbeagle, SOULFLY3 and Tufan Chakir like this.