Health & Family How do i get vitamin D?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MyDarlinghurst, 6th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

My skin is European white.

The last few months i was sitting in the sun i started to get increase in brown freckles on my arms so i have stayed out of the Sun the last 2 weeks.

last tuesday i started to get very tired and coughing,i ended up having 3 sick days last week where i slept a lot.

i feel much better today but my friend says it is because i dont get enough Sun in the last few weeks ,could this be causing mny sickness last week?

should i go out and sit in the Sun today ? how long is ok without burning my arms?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

willair likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Unless your friend is a doctor, I would not be taking medical advice from him/her.

Your sick days sound very much like a simple virus.

Ask your doctor. You can have a blood test to check your vitamin D levels.
    Marg

Chris Au, willair and Perthguy like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would run a million miles from this guy's advice for Americans. He is suggesting getting out in the midday sun without sunscreen and getting a tan for 'protection' from a sun bed. Sun beds are so cancer-causing that they have been banned in Victoria.

When skin tans it is a sign that damage has occurred. When the UV level reaches 3, sun protection should be used.

Here's what the Better Health Channel (Victorian Govt.) says:

UV levels in Victoria
    As shown in the table below, from September to April, average UV levels in Victoria are three and above for much of the day. This level of UV increases the risk of overexposure and skin damage, and requires sun protection. Be extra cautious in the middle of the day when UV levels are most intense. Sunscreen use at these times is advised, and should not put people at risk of vitamin D deficiency.

From May to August, average UV levels in Victoria are low (below three), making it a great time to roll up your sleeves and get some winter sun.

Table 1. Safe sun exposure in Victoria, to reduce the risk of low vitamin D:

Time of year Skin type UV exposure required / Sun protection required

September to April
    (UV levels three and above for much of the day)

Fair to olive skin A few minutes of mid-morning or mid-afternoon sun exposure to the face, arms and hands (or equivalent area of skin) most days of the week. A combination of sun protection measures is needed during these months:
    • sunscreen
    • hat
    • protective clothing sunglasses
    • shade.
    • Be extra cautious in the middle of the day when UV levels are most intense.

Naturally very dark skin Three to six times the level of exposure required by people with fair to olive skin. It may not be necessary for people with this skin type to wear sunscreen. Eyes should be protected from the sun with sunglasses or a hat. Vitamin D supplements may also be required.

May to August
    (UV levels mostly below three)

Fair to olive skin
    Approximately two to three hours of midday sun exposure to the face, arms and hands (or equivalent area of skin) spread across the week. Not needed, except for people:
    • in alpine regions
    • i outside for extended periods
    • i near highly reflective surfaces such as snow or water.
    Naturally very dark skin Three to six times the level of exposure required by people with fair to olive skin. Not needed, except, perhaps, for people:
    • in alpine regions
    • outside for extended periods
    • near highly reflective surfaces such as snow or water.
    Even in these conditions, it may not be necessary for people with this skin type to wear sunscreen, but you should still protect your eyes from the sun with sunglasses or a hat. Vitamin D supplements may be required as it may not be possible to maintain vitamin D levels through sun exposure alone at this time of year.

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2018
    Chris Au, willair and Simon Hampel like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....might be best to cover your freckle area before exposing it outside.

UV rays can damage DNA and cause hideous growths.

Scott No Mates and willair like this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had the same problem being a red head lucky now after being married for over 30 years and several daughters the red hair went real quick and turned white..
    Nature can be real cruel to a person --but the best person to talk to would be a doctor you dont want to construct a artificial world around yourself and miss the negative and necessary parts of life..

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Humans have survived for over 5 million years with sun exposure, eating meat and eating vegetables grown in dirt.

It’s ok, we are not that precious

Phar Lap, Touristy and Perthguy like this.
  9. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

This is all the info you need. A few minutes each day in warmer months, or 2 hours spread over the week in colder months.
    Basically walking to and from the car, putting out the washing, and other similar tasks is all that's required. You don't need to be (and it's highly recommended not to) sitting in the sun for hours to get the required vitamin D.

Joynz likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd ask for a blood test. I was stupidly low on Vit D (well below bottom of the range) and that brings plenty of serious health issues with it.

I'm now taking Vit D capsules and recently had another blood test to check levels. My doctor initially refused to allow me to be tested, said "we can't just test everybody who thinks they might need a test". I'm told they have an allowance before being "looked at" if they exceed it.

I went from that doctor to a different one (happy to send me for a test) and he also suggested on top of the capsules to try to get ten minutes of sun on a "long" bone (arm, leg) every day. I try to do that, early in the morning, but not every day and certainly not if it gets past about 9am.

Find a doctor you are happy with, ask for a test.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Rickets disease linky

See your doctor or head back to Europe for an intensive dose of ski therapy over the Australian summer.

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2018
  12. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes, provided there is enough skin exposed. Shirt and shorts.

The Sunsafe phone app has a section that indicates, based on your location and skin type how much sun exposure you need that day for adequate Vitamin D (eg today, I only needed 3 minutes with arms and legs exposed). The app was developed to enable people to balance Vitamin D exposure to subburn/skin cancer risk.

I buy 5,000IU tablets from iherb.com.au and have yearly blood/vitamin D tests. My vit D is now 100nmol.

13. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Agree with Y-Man
    A leading surgeon in Melbourne who was looking after my mum when she was sick put us onto Ostelin Vitamin D, he said that brand worked better than the others and also took away mums' bone pain