How do I fix this wall

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by James H, 14th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James H

James H Well-Known Member

Hi, my brick wall has small cracks and bubble-up area. I'm planning to sand and fill it will crack filler. And then I need to re-paint.
    Can I paint just that area if I find a matching color, or should I paint the whole wall? How many layers of paint should I apply? I haven't done any of these before, any advice is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

First photo would make me wonder if there is moisture in or behind that wall? Is there a bathroom behind it?

If that is old water damage that has lifted the paint (which is what it looks like to me), then you need to make sure it is dry (and the leak fixed) first. Then I'd sand back to a point where there is no more bubbling and the paint is "sound" and paint the whole section of wall. You can get paint matches these days, but I've found doing the whole section (corner to corner) is much better than trying to match a small patch section.

The second photo looks to me like it just needs some filler, light sand and paint. For that "line" I'd firstly try to "feather" the same colour, brush lightly over the filler, very lightly and you might get away with not painting more than just the crack fill and repair. At times, I've gotten away with simply filling the crack and with a light paint colour, often that is enough for the crack to disappear without having to paint.

If you don't have any paint, you'd need to find somewhere that you can lift a section about the size of a 50 cent piece to have it matched by the paint sections.

BLT, James H and Pumpkin like this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

That first photo is a dead ringer of the bedroom wall in my unit...which is a shared wall with bathroom which did have a water leak.

If there's a water leak its got to be fixed. Then sand and a couple coats. Matching paint is near impossible so you can hide the wall with some furniture. In my case, I just told the tenant to cover that part of the wall with a bed. All good.

BLT and Pumpkin like this.
  4. James H

Thanks for that. Yes it is bathroom behind the bubbles wall. So I need to get a plumber first then:(

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I would turn all your taps off then go look at your water meter to see if its still spinning. That would indicate a large leak.

Then I would pull the bell housing off the taps in the shower and take off the shower arm/head to see if the washers are creating a leak down the wall.

If you still havent found a leak then its likely that the waterproofing is gone. Id try a quick fix of running silicon around all the joins or if the tiling looks real bad Id bite the bullet and rip out the tiles and re waterproof and tile.

Jacque, datto and BLT like this.
  6. BLT

BLT Active Member

May need to re-grout too. Have seen a similar issue at another property. Didn’t require a plumber thankfully.

7. James H

Just curious, What was the cause of the issue at your property? How did you fix it?

8. BLT

BLT Active Member

The grout in the shower had just died over time so water was getting through. It was a case of taking out the old grout (very time consuming!), regrouting and use silicon around all the edges.

9. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We had a similar issue in a 35yr old unit, is the shower located on that wall?

As I have time and limited $$ and our tiles were in good condition I did as above

1. Removed all old grout from shower Floor and wall, bought a tool from Bunnings and spent the day in there.

2. cleaned and re-grouted all the tiles

3. Added a neat bead of silicon along the floor and wall tile join and 100mm up the corner join.

4. Removed the shower head and replaced as it was ugly, new white tape to ensure no leak from there.

5. Removed the taps and replaced as they too where a nice brown plastic, father in law did the washers as well.

The Shower look so much better, that we the fixed the small bubbling paint and guess what, we sold the unit a year late and it hadn't come back by then so fingers crossed that was it. The grout had been scrubbed so many times it was worn away, instead of being level with the tile it was a sunken, so water used it as a drain, plus the waterproofing 30yrs ago would have broken down as well.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.