How do I find stocks to speculate on?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Frank Manno, 15th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

I feel like doing a bit of speculating with small amounts of money, just for fun. There was a thread 'Whats looking good on the ASX' that was mentioning a few stocks.. Thats the general idea of what i want. Just a way to find stocks.

So what tool or website can I use to find stocks to study and speculate on? Morningstar perhaps? But how do I search for stocks? Perhaps the same tools a day trader would use?? But what are these?

Is there a website that I can use to scan for stocks of a given criteria?

-Frank

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

inertia, kierank and Nodrog like this.
  3. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

What broker do you use? Most online brokers have stock screening applications, though may be restricted to higher paying/higher frequency users.

So you could for example put in a bunch of criteria to filter stocks of further interest. E.g. if you are looking for speculative stocks you might run filter with parameters like- market cap <$50m, P/E>25, 12 month price change >20%...etc...etc...

Gypsyblood likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is a good book by ..Paul V..Azzopardi 201 pages ..

Behavioural Technical Analysis ..

Behavioural finance from simple understanding is the raw study of how the 80--20 %% works and how AI Human sentiment and herd sentiment and emotions affect financial decision --making and the subsequent blitzkrieg effect on all financial worldwide markets..

Start with that book and read it several times then build the foundations for trading and the low and highs of investment strategies and your decisions..Not advice Frank in any way..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2019
    Gypsyblood and GX1 like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Redwing likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Have you run this past your Financial Advisor?

petewargent and Alex Straker like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Geez, I can apply that to my shiraz addiction, with no lateral thinking.

I better fess up - I knocked over a bottle (or two) of 2013 Dusty Hill Shiraz last night (being Valentine’s Day and wedding anniversary), so feeling a little “dusty” this morning.

Not my greatest wine but the wife and I spent a dirty weekend up there a few years ago and it brought back some lovely memories ...

Say no more ;)

Sackie and sharon like this.
  8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Why are you going to buy Frank ? I already told you what to buy when you asked 15 months ago. I gave you a portfolio of 11 companies. How many did you research ? How many did you buy ? Here is how much they are up and it doesn't include dividends ALU 400%, ALL 400% PPH 200%, BAP just had a trim so is only 20%, NAN 20%, WTC 300%, A2M 100%, PME 250% RMD 50%, ELO the spec stock is still a buy up 100%. BWX was the only one that fell (70%) but I got out with a profit, These companies where advised to show how investing for dividend is a waste of capital. The properties used to secure these shares have also had 10% plus gain in CG and 10% plus gain in yield, You can pay a property off in one year with shares and buy another one.

9. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

This..you dont need.. pick industry you like, and go lol..

btw, just so you know if a day trader makes over 10% a year, they are having a good year.. just so you know.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  10. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

do you have access to professional charting like prorealtime or metatrade etc..?
    they have vast array of screener that you can filter on anything you can come up with and if they don't have what you want, you can code it yourself or use someone else code on prorealcode

ProRealTime - Technical analysis & trading software
    ProRealCode - Sharing ProRealTime knowledge

if you speculate you need charting software watching for volume, trendline and all sort of momentum building for that specs, get off when the momentum is gone.

I use ProRealTime

Gypsyblood likes this.
  11. willair

Just have to add this little gem,as your Financial Advisor who is highly skilled from the way I read may not like you going down the pot hole ridden uphill road of day week month trading..

Most from what I read and talk to within Commsec and one other site outside this site is..

Most maybe about 85% will never end up making bucketloads from day trading ,as so many are focussing on wrong thing anyway..

Most are too media focussed on the fast bucks outcomes and the deep pools of self pity and not the serious standing in front of the high speed fans of your inner psyche..

[​IMG]

Zenith Chaos, sharon and Nodrog like this.
  12. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

If you like losing money check out Hotcopper.

ASXGJ1, Gypsyblood, Silverson and 3 others like this.
  13. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Beat me too it! :D

Silverson likes this.
  14. willair

It's always good to have a look every now and again at HC,at least with the commsec chatroom there are a few day traders inside that platform and when they tell you they have just purchased a order it's there for everyone to see and match it 100% with the sales data minute by minute,the other sites are quite different ...

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  15. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

One suggestion for lower risk with the more speculative stocks is look at mining stocks with a defined resource and a full feasibility study, close to financing or in construction. General theme is to try and buy before they start producing. Market then starts to value them higher when they generate cashflow.

Just be sure they aren’t over-valued when you buy them.

You also need to educate yourself on the market dynamics of the material/commodity they will be selling.

Also ... ones to potentially start with are in the ASX300 index. They have matured enough to satisfy criteria for entering that index. Have a look at their fundamental data and see if you can work out if they are undervalued.

I like mining stocks because there is a pattern. Find a deposit, work out how big it is, work out how to economically mine it ( feasibility study ), finance it, build it, commission it, ramp up production, steady state production. The further they are through this cycle the lower the risk ( generally speaking ).

Gold producers are getting some good sentiment at the moment. GOR is an obvious one to look at as they are close to entering production.

I do much of my research at marketindex.com.au as it has a fast interface for browsing fundamentals and announcements of individual companies.

Very important you learn what an Appendix 3B is as data in it can have a big impact on share price movements.

Here’s the ASX300 list. Start looking at companies and working out what you think is undervalued or has a good strategy for growth.

S&P/ASX 300 - Share Prices & Charts

Gypsyblood, KayTea and willair like this.
  16. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

I've been looking everywhere for that post but can' find it :( - I don't remember you telling me..

Could you elaborate on that please? I thought that the feeling of most here is that its best to use capital to invest in stocks that pay dividends. I thought this was the whole 'point' of investing for most here.

Now I'm really confused hehe..Property with 10% yield? But property is going backwards a bit in Australia especially Melb and Syd. I'm a bit confused at that comment too..

-Frank

17. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That's really impressive - how did you make your decisions/do your research?

Gypsyblood and wombat777 like this.
  18. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Frank don't believe the city centric attention grabbing crap, some parts of 2 cities aren't doing well, Much of Australia is booming. There is a severe shortage of accommodation in some places especially at this time of the year. You have to understand the demographics of an area and who wants what type of property where and not every body has or wants a car or even a licence.. I furnish $ 200-220K houses with 3 to 5 beedrooms rent the master bedroom out for $250 a week and the other rooms out for $150-200 a week giving $700 a week rent. those houses where bought when the median was $210k 10 years ago, last year the median price was 270K this year the median has been reported to be 330k. Got go now but more latter

Gypsyblood likes this.
  19. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2017? post 796

Gypsyblood and Frank Manno like this.
  20. qak

qak Well-Known Member

or BKL :(