How do I clean this shower??!

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by hammer, 24th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

My shower has a concrete and broken pebbles/tiles floor. It's lovely but I can't work out how to clean it?
    I seem to be getting a buildup of white dust around everything...driving me nuts!

Tried vinegar, jif, water blasting, bathroom cleaner, a diluted HCL mixture...nothing works....I'm now starting to damage it.....sheesh...

HELP!

IMG_20170424_183939546.jpg IMG_20170424_183949952.jpg IMG_20170424_184018618.jpg

Attached Files:

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Looks clean enough from here. Maybe it needs a new protective coat of something? Maybe the old coat is the powder? @pinkboy @Scott No Mates @WestOz

WestOz likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to agree with you @WattleIdo - a coat of sealer mightn't go astray, it should bring up the colour in the stone.

White dust is possibly soap scum, get rid of the other half ;) or change to a body wash.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Its not something I've worked with before, guessing its wet/damp where the dark patches are?

I agree with @WattleIdo that it likely requires a new coat of sealant.

If DIY I'd scrape out the old silicon around the bottom edge first, looks like its gone mouldy in the top corner, reapply after resealed.

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Looks a little like efflorescence. I'd treat it for that, then let dry out a day and add a stone sealer like Dry Treat.

pinkboy

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Salts or calcium in sandor a crap waterbase sealer. I suspect salt sand was used. It leahes to surface
    Needs to be washed endlessly then sealed once solved. Sealing locks it in

Test which then treat, wipe if off like makeup remover. DO NOT SEAL until identified. If any silicone exists sealer will NOT work. Dont apply until solved. I did that and found terracotta tiles had a silicone on them. Washed then with solvent and resealed with Crommelin sealr (not waterbased) now its waterproof. BUT take dry eather to apply. Never aply to even a damp surface

I just waterproofed 30m2 of concrete and its like a car roof now. It beads and remains 100% dry even after rain for days. Its used to go green.BUT it wont dry as it never gets wet. Rain sits ontop

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2017
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may be efforescence however most of these salts are soluble. Treatment with acid will tend to send the stains brown. Google efflorescence. There is a treatment kit available.

It is powdery and will come off with stiff brushing? or soap scum type stain?

8. Lucy Willsonna

Lucy Willsonna New Member

Make a paste of Baking Soda and water and then start scrubbing it might help.

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

And if all else fails:

[​IMG]

10. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Do a small test patch of sealer when its dried out, hopefully the seal doesn't make it to slippery.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.