How do I change house numbers (QLD)?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by jaybean, 21st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Would I need to engage some pros like RPI or is it generally something you can do yourself, simple form application etc

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to change #13 to #888 or something?

Give us some info.

pinkboy

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Basically yeah. I don't believe it myself, but house is in an Asian area. Number 44, about as "bad" as it gets.

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

The only time I've seen a house number change (in QLD) is when the property is on a corner and you elect to switch addresses to the alternate street, ie house on the corner of Black St & Red St, and 44 Black St changes address to 2 Red St.

I'd be doubtful you could just randomly change a house number in other circumstances, but then I'm not a house number expert.....

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

There's an australian standard for house numbering - I remember I found it online once without too much hassle.

After checking that what I wanted was possible (there's actually a bunch of quite strict rules), I contacted the council who processed my request.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I encountered this with a mate doing a dev...

Its really hard to get approved. When a street has Lot No's is far easier since all numbering is up for grabs. When there is a subdiv etc in street there is a process for adding A / B etc. BUT all neighbours must also consent.

Councils wont allow odd / even to be altered. Or a one off that doesn't follow the pattern.. eg You cant become house 88 if either neighbour is 24 and 28.

There are issues with emergency services, services supply, mapping etc that are all affected.

Councils generally allocate a corner address to the street frontage with the shorter width for the rate notice. You can use either address in practice. I had one of these. Dumbos in Council sent rates notice to the fence and mail went undelivered. After many months I questioned council who explained the illogic to their postal decisions.

You may get 42B or 46A etc....There would be no house 44. Your neighbours on each side need to co-operate. My council charge for it !!

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I know of two local cases where numbers have been changed from (example) 44 to 42A (Chinese buyers wanting to avoid bad numbers). This was years ago.

8. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Just use a screw gun or liquid nails.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Buy #42 and #46, develop the three properties into townhouses or units, refer to them as 42-46 ... problem solvered :p

10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Just reverse the numbers, so it's 44. problem solved :p

Pistonbroke likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bunnings ... Two letters "AA" liquidnailed to your centrelink PO box.

12. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

We subdivided our property into 3 lots and changed the house number of the remaining lot to one of the created lots which we built a new house on. It caused absolutely no end of confusion with the water and electricity companies and even the council rates were wrong. Eventually it got sorted out but being large acreage lots delivery couriers still go to the wrong house as they use their GPS. I hope I don't need to call an ambulance, it will probably take them a while to work out where we are. I had a most interesting conversation with a lady at council trying to explain that when we renumbered the lots we didn't move the original house to the new lot as they had classified the lot with the original house as vacant land.