How do fixed loans work?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Otie, 13th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

ive never had any fixed loans, but a friend asked me today how it works when you have a portion of your loan fixed, eg 70%, and the remainder variable?
    Can you refinance the 30% variable with another bank or extract equity from that portion? This loan is her PPOR loan she has no IPs

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No because of the mortgage -security for the loan.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You can't refi the variable portion, but you can still get equity out with the same lender. Just make sure servicing is okay, and the current lenders cash out policy is conducive before you/she fixes.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

yes yiu cna get a second mortgage with lender x for the 30 %. But. It's usually at a lower lvr and often at a higher rate

As already stated, you can pull equity with the same lender if the servicing works, and importantly the val works, and the policy works around chas out etc.

One thing that is a bit different today than a few years back ,.., the exit cost form the average 2 to 3 year fixed rate loan is generally reasonable, and if for an ip deductible in the year incurred if your accountant agrees

Ta
    Rolf

5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

In general it’s very difficult (impractical for majority) to have different lenders for one property. Generally borrowers who have multiple lenders have multiple properties too (and the number of lenders is equal to or less than the number of properties).

Ie you rarely have two lenders with one security (guarantor loans the main exception to the above rule).

So in your friends case, for all practical purposes, you can’t have a second lender do the variable but and the main lender do the fixed bit.

6. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

I rang up today to get a fixed loan break cost on one of my loans and found out it was $0... So in my case it was very reasonable. I'd seen some offers of better fixed rates with the same bank, so have cancelled my existing and applied for a new fixed rate at a reduced rate.

Regards,

Jason

Eric Wu likes this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Her break costs may not be too bad. I’ll tell
    her to check it out

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Zero is uncommon :) but early 1000s is mainstream

ta
    rolf

9. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

it is quite common now with very low break cost, many of my clients ( any myself as well) were pleasantly surprised with the $0 break cost.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia