How did you learn about investing in stocks?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by zagi, 13th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zagi

zagi Member

With lots of time at my hand and in process of educating myself about investing, I'm curious to know how other people started learning about stocks before they invested? Did you first start with index funds before venturing into buying individual stocks? Did you do it on your own or you had a mentor? What piece of advice would you give to your younger self looking back? What mistakes did you make that you later learnt from?

Looking forward to your inputs!

Silverson likes this.
  2. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

For me it was all about having skin in the game.
    You can read as much as you want but it’s the emotions/mindset that is probably 70% of investing and the other 30% picking ‘winners’
    I stated buying individual stocks, first penny/spec stocks then got into the likes of CBA STO and a few others, now have a portfolio that heavily tilts towards ETFs and LICs however I still have well over 40 holdings. My plan from day dot was to never sell a share and invest for a growing income stream, NOT growth however growth too is important.

The advice I would give my younger self is start sooner and start with the likes of VAS and STW (instead of trying to find the needle, buy the haystack) then as I built a sizeable portfolio re assess, either keep buying ETF/LIC or just have them as a core and buy some individual stocks to keep things interesting (not from a return point of view simply because I enjoy investing).

But the single most important thing I would tell myself is start as soon as I can and stay as focused/committed as I can.

What are your thoughts?

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Read, of course, but actually put some money in. Do it as young as possible. The amount doesn't matter. Share investing is as much a mental thing as a financial thing. You need to learn, and understand, your own attitude to money. How do you feel when you make money? When you lose money? When you see 30% gains in a day? 50% loss in a day?

Jmillar likes this.
  4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I was reading blogs. Bought some shares in a silver company in Cobar at 25 cents. Sold them when they hit a dollar a few months later. Had a friend go on and on about this amazing oil fracking company. So I invested in that and lost all the money I made on the silver company. Haven’t touched shares since! But I was investing in penny stocks and those speculative things are always a risk. I’d only do blue chip if I were to invest in shares again, but really, my super being invested in shares is enough for me.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think I started off reading something by Ian Huntley in the newspaper. So I started off with Managed Funds.

I then went some seminars and started doing shares directly as well as options trading.

Most important advice? Keep some of the profits - don't reinvest all of it back into the share market.

The Y-man

6. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

25 years ago I had a house mate who was studying to be a financial planner. I was interested so basically studied all the stuff as well. Learnt a lot, the main thing being never trust a financial planner! Though I think things have changed a bit now.

Willy

7. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Accidentally stumbled upon on an attachment called Beginner’s guide to LIC by @Nodrog , followed by several of his posts got me started somewhere. Ever thankful!!

Followed by few other investment books including the motivated money.

Now that VGS is our dominant holding and will continue to get stronger.

Burgs likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF