How did you handle a kitchen removal/install from interstate ??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Rivet, 29th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Hi All,
    Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has had to replace an old kitchen in an IP interstate ?
    How did you manage it ?
    How involved should I expect my PM to be in the process ?
    Thinking of going with a Bunnings or Ikea kitchen and to do this am I better off sourcing a handyman who can measure up and order a new one, rip out the old one, carry out any minor plumbing/electrical work and install the new kitchen or trying to find a flat pack kitchen company who can do the lot ?
    Also how long should it take if things go relatively smoothly ? There is currently a tenant in the place so they would either need to live through it or I could wait till the current lease expires and reno it unoccupied.
    Any advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Rivet

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I will not do it when the tenant is in - too big of a job to have the tenant running without kitchen.

The builder i recently talked to said local cabinet maker usually will do it in reasonable price, including measure install and removal of current kitchen. My other property has small ikea kitchen done, just get the PM to have him in and out. It's possible, I think personally best to get them to arrange the whole lot than trying to source things yourself.

Currently doing bathroom from interstate and did so many mistakes of sourcing some of the items myself :confused:

Rivet and wylie like this.
  3. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Agree - It wouldn't be much fun living through a kitchen reno.
    The place could also do with a lick of paint too so I'd probably be better off getting it all done with the place empty then re-advertising at a higher rate.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

With careful planning you can get a kitchen removed and new one done in 2 days. So maybe co-ordinate with tenants and see if they are going away on holidays, or give them a weeks free rent to cover a hotel for a night or two.

TadhgMor, EN710 and Gockie like this.
  5. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Agree Dave, that can be done as I did mine in my PPOR in 2 days but to have that accomplished interstate is doubtful in my opinion unless you are paying someone top dollar to manage the whole process from measuring up to rip out and install.

6. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Yes I agree Rivet - very difficult to do reno by remote control so to speak. Last year, we needed to do a reno (including total kitchen replacement) on an interstate IP and thought it would be very difficult trying to make decisions from afar so ended up making the interstate trip. Trying to figure out the best places to shop for the cabinetry and the fixtures was very daunting but we were directed to a builder who directed us to his usual supplier (cheaper than anything we'd seen) It was pain free for us and cost not over the top either as we saved on materials.
    If you indicate which state your IP is in , maybe someone on here can recommend something or someone to help you get a good outcome.

7. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Thanks Fantail. Glad things worked out for you.
    The IP is in the Moreton Bay Area north of Brisbane. Any recommendations or contacts would be great, thanks.