How desirable is a fully shelved slim WIR?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Propin, 14th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

When renovating/building new home, how important is built in WIR area to add value?

I have a 1700mm x 3500mm space with random ikea setup.

There is a frosted glass window behind large ikea wardrobe.

I think it would look fantastic with custom shelves but would you get your money back? Would cost be around $10,000? 12D633A4-CEC2-4BC8-B74D-C4ACEC96AD70.jpeg

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

1700 is plenty wide enough for a wir, but $10,000 seems a bit expensive.

You need around 5-600 width for hanging clothes, which would leave a comfortable 1000+ for access walkway, so why are you thinking narrow shelves?

If you've got 3500 in length then I'd put in 3000 of hanging ... 1500 of full hanging and 3000 (2x1500) of half hanging then 500 of shelves in between the two areas for support of each side, bags, shoes, hats and whatever else, with a full width shelf across the entire top

Propin, wylie, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Cost wouldn't be that much. Depending on how complex you want it but you'd get away with a few thousand for some nice built in drawers, half height hanging and full length hanging sections

There are a few wardrobe companies in Perth like Lifestyle Wardrobe, Wardrobe Man who are pretty reasonably priced that will do a quote.

Propin likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion for drawers - looks tidy, keeps dust off - and not everything can/should be put on hangers.

And you can stack things two-deep, (compared to shelves where it blocks access/visibility).

More expensive though.

Propin and wylie like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

IKEA PAX is a flatpack alternative. Very customisable. Design your own. Open or doors etc etc. When correctly installed square and fixed to each other and wall its a decent finish. White is cheaper but other colours, depths, height, widths etc. Shoe racks, hangers and more can be customised. And even later changed.

Measure the empty area incl height and doorway position. Just check floors and walls are reasonably square and leave a tiny allowance for this. eg 30mm on each length

Storage One...see example

Attached Files:

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2022
    Lizzie and Propin like this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, you’ve given me an idea! It’s already decked out with a double pax wardrobe - half hanging, racks for pants, then a drawer at the bottom. Then beside that there is a space where I put my own drawers plus a frosted window above it which is handy for light. Then an old ikea open set up that appears to be obsolete as I tried to change part of it years ago. Maybe if I just got rid of the open obsolete bit and added another matching pax unit at the other end, got a grey-silver tall boy (may be a DIY project) , then leave the other half of the robe as it is AD46FFB7-47C1-455A-A703-D8A71487321D.jpeg

Attached Files:

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

God your hand writing is very similar to mine. Rarely see this.

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Wow, that’s crazy!

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.