How could l best invest $100 a week ?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by random, 21st Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

Hey people and thanks for taking a look.
    l wanna do something with $100 a week that comes in from a small rental after costs , so just think $100 a week and what best to do with it.
    l guess it might be the 60 dollar question haha . but what do you think the best possible thing l could do with it , might be, nothing property, l wanna invest it or buy something or whatever, fortightly as it comes in for maybe 5 yrs or even 10.
    l know , spose it's a shame l didn't start buying bitcoin with it 5yrs ago right, ohwell that horse has bolted maybe eh. l know there's dozens of new ones out all the time now but how would you even pick one anyway and is it all going to fizzle or who knows now yaknow , so l doubt anyone would advise that route l guess.

Any thoughts or advice really appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Save it up and once or twice a year, go buy vanguard ETF of your choice. Repeat til you need the cash.

random likes this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Thanks for that , say l did that for five years,Roughly what sort of return would you be looking at. ?

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

This won't be the answer you are looking for but the real answer is whatever the market gives you.

It can be a fickle beast.

One of my kids has held an ETF (STW) since the early 2000's mine and once told me the return since then has been 6.3% pa in capital gain and 8.6% pa in distributions. No idea how they calculated it.

Don't place all your faith in those figures as I do not know if they have bought, how much or when. However one thing of which I am aware is they did not sell at all during that period.

random likes this.
  5. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

Commsec pocket app
    Buy ioz only $2 per trade up to 1k

Sydneyboy, IndexFunds, Kat and 2 others like this.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Salary sacrifice $100 into your Super

Codie, Momoko, Shazi and 2 others like this.
  7. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

Super is for people that can’t save like those Christmas hampers that you pay off all year to afford to eat at x mas lol

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Stake. Set up a stake account, it is simple, takes a few minutes, trades are free, you could buy one OKTA share every 2 weeks. Minimum transfer is $50. If you use $A you will pay 70c for every $100 ( which is nothing as daily price fluctuations can be many x this) as FX fee when you transfer money in and out of your Aus wallet. You can transfer $US directly into your US wallet and trade as often as you like for free. But when you want to redeem funds the funds have to transferred to the $A wallet and a 0.7 fx fee charged. There is a once only $5.00 fee for the form for US tax compliance.

DoggaPP and random like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Probably spend it on self education.

But don't waste it on trying to become a comedian. It's a hard slog. lol.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Double edged sword - you get a reduced rate of tax on your contributions (you can also deposit the funds directly to your super but you need to declare it as undeducted amounts prior to the deposit or check your employer won't include the amount in your SGC), will lower your income so you may come into a lower tax bracket (or will reduce your overall tax payable/paid).

Many industry super funds returned >6% for 2018/19 without the hassle of selection of investments.

Nup! A decent super fund (ranked highly by superratings/canwest etc) has good fund managers, works for returns in a low tax environment and will be there without the additional time required to administer your own share portfolio. You blow your Christmas hamper every year.

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
    Codie and Angel like this.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I am currently working with some one that is worried about his retirement he is 65. 12 years ago he was a successful real estate agent/auctioneer in Melbourne he made a very bad property investment with trusted friends who turned out to have different morals. Long story short he had to go bankrupt and lost just about everything. My understanding is money in super is reasonably safe. A good Super balance by a certain age can be set and forget for a reasonable life in retirement. If I had my time again I would have $100K in Super by age 30 then I believe no further need to worry about it. YMMV

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it that hard to contribute circa $7-10k/annum between leaving school and age 30 (between SGC and voluntary/salary sacrifice)?

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

In my case I could have done it easily. Time at Uni and it would have been 8 years working.

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
  14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

What is your employer's super contribution rate @random ?

Only asking because sometimes employers contribute 12-17 percent at which point it's probably worth putting that money elsewhere.

If your employer's super contributions are 9 percent (the minimum) putting that $100 per week into super is almost a no-brainer.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

pay down non-deductible debt?

Lindsay_W, number 5 and Silverson like this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I once told people I was going to be a comedian.

They're not laughing now.

17. random

random Well-Known Member

Self employed Hammer thanks.
    But nah l wanna put it somewhere else like shares or something, maybe even a new company, l dunno hence the thread .Maybe even something like fargo was suggesting cept l don't quite get what he's saying , but it sounds more trading than just holds but could have that wrong.
    Don't know much about holding shares , only trading as l use to trade.

Be great if l could find something when l can just keep adding buying whatever but something with some real potential , new company, new bitcoin haha , l dunno or maybe there's something else you could do with it that could at least have some boom potential , l dunno.

l use to trade in new companies everyday because the fluctuate so much but picking one to hold on the other hand, whole nother matter eh. 1/2 the ones l use to trade have gone bust these days, youch .

Yep , thought about solar , but man there's so many out there now, bloody hard to know where to even begin on which one that might explode. And then who knows what they might come up with even in a few years, maybe something much better than solar then they'll be worthless, it's all changing so fast places and people all over the world are tinkering away.
    But that was one area l' was thinking could be real potential but also maybe dicey with those things.

But you know, something new for example, maybe. Athough l see one company can't even remember who, American , been doing 20% for 50yrs, compounding no idea what 100pw in that would work out to but at least it's a lot better than the norm l guess. Probably no chance of it exploding into bigger now though.
    Be great to find something with exploding potential haha, like it's not much money so yaknow, if it didn;t happen it didn't happen.

Or maybe something else . God knows .

18. random

random Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the future of the crypto's from here people ?
    Bitcoins still powering along but the others l dunno , seem to be more fizzling. Bound to be a few that could still really take off but who knows.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The rule of thumb for startups is that 90% of them will fail - so the one that makes it needs to return the lost capital as well as your investment return. The required returns will most likely have to be from invested equity, not from "trading" (i.e. the aim is to make the money when you list).

If you have an interest in the area, maybe look at crowdfunding that give equity share, or maybe go down the microfinance route?

The Y-man

Kat747 likes this.
  20. random

random Well-Known Member

Could only find an 18mth chart , hasn't done much , is there something in the wind ?