How close is too close (to the action)?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Howler, 2nd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Howler

Howler Active Member

Looking at older 2-3 storey apartments.

I am wanting to get some opinions on how close is too close to a district boundary "the action" where high-rises can be built alongside transport and mixed-use (shopping etc.)? In this case I might be dealing with 6-8 storey apartments.

A 3 storey unit I am looking at is 3 residences from from the district boundary, so 2 in between as fodder between the unit in question and the boundary. Outside the boundary the zoning is standard for 2-3 storeys (of course this can change I think if multiple blocks are consolidated).

In the district zone (3 doors down), there is currently a low-rise business, but in the future I anticipate a 6-8 storey tower. Across the main from this underdeveloped block, there is a 8 storey one going in right now.

Is this too close to the action or far enough away, to get some of the benefit of the district and not loose too much view/privacy etc?
    Might the district boundary be altered in the future, and the 2 properties next door get sucked into a larger development?

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Anything can change....

The Y-man

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Across the road from me are units (fully developed bar 1 infill site) , across the closest crossroad is zoned townhouses (brownfield development sites requiring amalgamation of two or more houses to be viable), we're zoned R2. Higher density isn't going to happen anytime soon (at least another 2 LEPs).

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

This ... :(
    I have a friend who has a quality 3 bedroom unit that has had 1 unit development built alongside her and another development opposite ... she now looks out at the driveway entrance to an Aldi store and on the other side she no longer has any light/sunshine and has to keep the lights on. I would think her unit is now worth a lot less than it should ... :eek:

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2020
  6. Howler

Howler Active Member

The grocery stores are close enough that I won't get one with anything useful like an Aldi etc. underneath. I think if anything, they would be the almost purely residential generic looking towers with 1 or 2 shops underneath. In fact I'm not sure they even need shops.. but I guess they are trying to encourage foot traffic..

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The only thing worse would be owning a large heritage listed iron and timber homestead with jacaranda trees and rose gardens etc and they demolish everything across the road/behind you/beside you to build apartments or those modern (sorry @Sackie) three story concrete bunkers. Happens in inner north all the time. Think Kedron, Wooloowin, Lutwyche, Ascot, Nundah

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have several friends across SEQ who own(ed) heritage Qlders on a hill with breezes and views. These homes are now surrounded on three sides by long cold (usually) windowless three story concrete or plasterboard walls. The lucky ones get someone else's balcony butting up against their bedroom and bathroom windows.

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Spludge. ....it should be in inches lol

I reckon the closer to the action the better.

10. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

How about in the druie :D

datto likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^now don’t start giving cheek micky boy:D

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Minimum of 2m applies for unsocial distancing.

datto likes this.
  13. mickyyyy

Get ready for this! I have convinced @sash to buy in the druie

datto likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What the..... he spent 2 months in the mad house and he’s come out crazier than ever lol.

15. mickyyyy

I have a way of convincing ppl :D

datto likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice