How can this mobile number scam call work?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 4th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I get calls all the time.....If it's a number I don't recognise, I answer with the Business Name, and ask them which order they are enquiring about.....in case it's a customer. If it's not a customer or someone I know, I hang up. They never get as far as explaining what nonsense they want.

2. random

random Well-Known Member

Actually matter of fact from about my first reply to this thread l started getting these new stupid bloody text messages . They even use MY name , sometimes a few a day.
    They crap on with some bs saying hi random , sorry we didn't get back to you here is the link or some garbage,drive me crazy and you can't block them. With these the 3 dots at the top , don't even appear , the only thing that appears is delete but that won't block them. Soooo, they can just keep on coming.
    l've never clicked the link.
    About that time l had to put my name and no' to buy something so that crowd's obviously selling our stuff. l'd name and shame them if l could remember who it was. l remember thinking if that sets of more scam l'm gonna be ******, and there ya go.

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2020
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are they using your forum username, or your real name? You're not suggesting this has come from the forum somehow, are you?

What peeves me is that we are told all the time not to click on an email link, so when I get a bill, I go directly to the website, and a few times when I've contacted them, I'm told to click the link on the email. I patiently explain that how do I know the email came from them?

It must be really difficult for older and less tech savvy people to work out who to trust. I'm certainly not tech savvy either, but my mother-in-law tells me she gets daily calls saying her telephone is about to be cut off. She assumes this is a scam, and knows I've hooked her up to NBN, she has a dialler alert necklace with its own sim (because I set that up too) but still thinks when she gets a call to say her phone and internet will be disconnected, it might actually be Telstra calling.

She doesn't have a computer, but still worries about these calls.

qak likes this.
  4. random

random Well-Known Member

Nooooo, of course not.
    But anyway yeah right . l'm with optus l click theirs but l suppose that's another point scammers can fake stuff like that too.
    l'm always getting fake pay pal emails.

5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

In the last 3 days, I have received between 3-6 calls a day, Hubby got a bit less. So so over this, and wonder why nobody can do a thing about this?
    Perhaps the Government should start running competitions and give out prizes to some Nerds who can solve this problem.
    The number could be mobile, or landline between Brisbane, Canberra and anything from 03 to 08 to 02.

It is hard because we have a business and cant mute our phone always.
    So when there's a call not in our Address Book, we simply dont pick up and see if they leave a message.
    With landline, we have now unplugged it from the wall, it's a joke.

Some friends say pick-up the phone and give them a blast. Wish I have the time and mood to do it.
    Some fears of repurcussions.
    I do wish to speak to the person and tell them to get a life!

Rant over, well, not really over! Wish this will end

TMNT and wylie like this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

We get one or two a day. I really hate the recorded voice ones as can't abuse the caller - Amazon Prime renewals, the nbn telling me my (non existent) telstra service will be disconnected etc. The others get asked whether their mother is proud that they are a criminal.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A heads up on one I received this morning. Ordered online. Couple of hours later received text about tracking number and link. Looks legit except when you go to track it asks for payment of outstanding postage.

Nup, no way. The postage was included in the price.

Have now received two other texts advising parcel has been dropped off and to follow link to find pick up location. Nup again.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How do the scammers know you ordered something online. That's worrying.

I'm getting dozens of Bitcoin, male enlargement and "your delivery is waiting" emails these past few weeks. Way more than usual.

9. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Where/who did you order from please?
    Hope it's someone reputable.

10. SatayKing

After a bit of digging around I now consider it was coincidental I ordered online and then a text was received.

A number of retailers (JB HiFI, Harvey Norman, etc) have apparently received a a lot of customer questions about this. It seems to happen over holiday periods and was frequent during lockdown when a lot of buying activity was occurring. It's clever and simple - which is why it's clever. The scammers just send out the texts randomly during these periods. People assume it's in regard to the goods they have ordered and it goes from there. Apparently people are paying $3 or so. Send out a large enough number of texts and the amount ripped off could be substantial.

One line I heard was if people do pay for "postage", they inadvertently sign up for some form of recurring subscription and even larger amounts are taken before they realise it.

I knew the payment request was crap and didn't go further as shipping cost was already part of the deal for the skillet I bought.

Pumpkin and wylie like this.
  11. SatayKing

Not a phone scam but a scam nevertheless.

Usual lot of junk mail. The more 'interesting' ones were those purporting to be from Woolworths, Coles, the ABC and other large organisations saying I had been selected for some survey and there is a monetary reward involved for completing the survey. Have never provided this particular email address to any of them. Nor has this email address been pwned - you can check yours here.

Have I been pwned? | Cyber.gov.au

Probably a@@@holes generating an email based on various permutations of addresses in the hope somebody falls for it.

12. SatayKing

Looks like lockdown scams are ramping up. I have received a few emails supposedly from Australia Post and other carriers. All saying trouble with delivering a parcel and it can be done but there is a small amount of excess postage to be paid.

With lockdown, online buying has increased and scams of this nature tend to increase as well.

Unfortunately, some may not immediately realise it is a scam and pay.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The scams sure are ramping up ... the MyGov ones have finally stopped but now I'm getting multiple txts on my phone saying "you have a messagebank call - click on this link" ... needless to stay they are blocked and deleted immediately - yet, an hour later, I'll get another one

I feel sorry for those who aren't tech savvy and don't spot these a mile off

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was visiting an elderly person a while back. He was telling me that he had actually withdrawn money from the bank ready to pay somebody, when a neighbour told him that it was all a scam.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It's a virus called 'Flubot" looking for insecure Android mobile phones. For details see Getting strange ‘missed call’ SMS messages? Here’s how to avoid the Flubot

Some of the auto diallers must be running out of numbers. I had 4 calls from Amazon "purchase alert" yesterday.

craigc likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah - so someone I know must've clicked on the link, which then sends the message to all their contacts, as I diligently never click on anything (phone or email) that I am not 100% sure of ... even then I'll go directly to the website of the supposed email - ie MyGov - to check rather than click

Have just checked and my phone is NOT infected - so basically there is nothing I can do but continue to ignore them

17. SatayKing

From the SMH. No matter what the situation if there is any opportunity to relieve people of their money, some group will exploit the opportunity.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Calling Line Identification and spoofing | ACMA

Calling Line Identification
    If your phone has a display screen, Calling Line Identification (CLI) allows you to see the telephone number of the person calling before you answer your phone.

In December 2020, we registered Industry Code C661:2020 Reducing Scam Calls. It includes new CLI rules for carriers and carriage service providers to help identify, block and reduce scam calls.

CLI overstamping
    CLI overstamping allows the person calling you to display a different number from the number they are calling from.

For example, an Australian company which operates an overseas call centre may overstamp their calls (which originate from overseas) with an Australian number so that you identify this number and return a call.

This is legal in Australia unless it is being done for unlawful or malicious purposes, most commonly to carry out scams. This is often referred to as caller ID spoofing.

ID spoofing
    Caller ID spoofing allows the scammer to disguise their identity, often by displaying an Australian number, increasing the likelihood that you answer the call.

Typically, these callers are located overseas and may be impersonating a bank, a government agency or a provider in order to commit a fraud by obtaining your personal or financially sensitive information.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I get calls all the time with no one there, I believe they are just polling to see if your number is valid.

Cannot get scammed if you do not give anything, I do not even talk, I wait for the other side too speak if I do not know number & priv numbers I do not bother.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I don't even bother answering them .... if it's important they'll leave a message