How can this mobile number scam call work?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 4th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure it's possible to spoof the phone number. It used to be extremely easy to spoof it for SMS messages (though not legal I don't think).

datto likes this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Yep I heard that too, don't call back. In any case it's a scam so nothing to be gained by talking to them.

MTR and datto like this.
  3. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Iphone settings > phone > scroll down and at the bottom you can turn on dial assist.
    if on, that should show you the international/local prefix of any number that calls you.

The scam you mentioned is real and was quite a serious problem several years ago. Spoofing is also possible on Robocalls. So let's hope for Wylie it is the latter and not the former.

datto likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Still easy to do, and definitely illegal. Almost any decent phone system can spoof the caller ID.

When setting up phone systems, there are rules we need to follow, and theoretically, the carrier is supposed to implement measures to enforce it, but doesn't always happen. In some cases it is considered a "feature" - the legitimate use scenario would be where you want to set up a call forward from an office phone to a remote phone (or mobile), but retain the original source phone number for identification or automation purposes.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

geoffw likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I logged into my home phone account, found recent calls.

The mobile number that showed for the incoming call on my mobile, which was gibberish (machine?) foreign language shows up when I called back from my landline. It says - price $0.00. So looks like I was not scammed or charged for the call I made - phew!!!

Does that sound like somehow whoever called (machine or person) has somehow managed to direct the call through someone's mobile number. I called back from my silent number home phone so they couldn't see the number, and it was some poor lady trying to do her shopping.

And what on earth do they hope to gain by making these calls?

datto likes this.
  6. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah l've tried it plenty of times , same thing it usually back fires and they need your real number for something. l know they design it that way to get your damn number but none the less , often your order can't go ahead without the right number.

TMNT likes this.
  7. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah l have no idea what the point is of a lot of them. l fell for answering some earlier on and yeah got some other language gibber that went nowhere did nothing , no idea.
    The ones that send links though they do have a thing , clicking the link can often do things like scan your phone for pw and bank and stuff. And others clicking it plants a bug on your phone to collect all that stuff or steel your ID.
    Basically , it's just a mad mad mad world out there.

8. akira

akira Active Member

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Seems to be what it was. I've had this on our landline (silent number) several times but never on my mobile before.

Seems a bit hit and miss if they are hoping someone might answer who understands Mandarin. Then to find someone from those who do understand the language who also falls for the threats. I wonder what the hit rate is?

10. random

random Well-Known Member

l've been getting a lot of +6 calls lately which is UK.
    Turns out too my new number was some chicks number before and 12mths now but l'm still getting a lot of her crap too so maybe a lot of my scam calls go back to her too.
    When you get a new number it's often just someone elses old number l find out , bit of a sham isn't it.

11. geoffw

No. UK is +44. Australia is +61. Some other countries start with +6.

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I had a call 2 days ago which went to voicemail threatening that if I didnt pay some outstanding amount then both my Tax File Number would be cancelled, and that an order would be issued for my execution.

Naturally, I thought this was a bit harsh.

Either way, they don't get a cracker.

wylie likes this.
  13. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry l might have the 6 wrong l know , haven't had one of those ones in awhile but last l googled whatever it was yeah , said the UK

14. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah that ones an oldie it's been going on about 18mths now they warned about it on the news a long time ago. l got it a few times too. l remember though the first time l **** bricks. l've got a business.

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I've also got a business, which, over the long term, assists me in a fundamental contempt for idiotic scammers trying to get money for nothing, without having to do the hard yards, as most small business people do, to try and make a buck. so if they want to cancel my internet, and tax file number, and threaten fines, jail and execution, and variations thereof, then they should go hard, or go home, because they can go <violation of posting policy> themselves.

Hopefully this clears things up.

16. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Missed a cal once and called them back only to find out it was an expensive number to call back on, hung up pretty quickly

17. geoffw

As soon as they call me "jee off" or "joff" (or worse, Joffrey) I know it's a call centre.

random likes this.
  18. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Please don't do this. I've been on the receiving end of this a couple of times and it's not fun.

It may be a mash of different numbers to you but odds are it's someone's actual number.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

O sorry @Kesse, I hadn't thought of that. :oops:

Kesse likes this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I receive a few like that each day, mainly around lunchtime or early afternoon from the ATO ,TLS, insurance companies trying to commence legal action for accidents in Tasmania unless I pay 15k immediately ..But the real worry is I received 3 messages last week from unknown entities with a request to join their facebook page and I have never used facebook ever..