How can I hide a thread or ignore a thread?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by larrylarry, 15th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It seems to have worked out like that and its a good way to look at it although that poster has popped up elsewhere unfortunately.
    Probably time for that person to get another hobby or test their ideology and run as Green's candidate at the next Federal Election.

THX and larrylarry like this.
  2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Hey Larry....

[​IMG]
    :p

Perthguy and See Change like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Even blind Freddy could see that thread was going to be a waste of space! I never had a look... Using my self control powers as advised by the m(g)ods for fear of shooting my mouth off. But... I may drop in to add some folk to my ignore list, also recommended by the fearless leaders.

And I'm pretty certain ignoring users blocks their threads too as my swearing has reduced considerably

larrylarry likes this.
  5. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Im really enjoying the quality of debate in that thread - from both sides. Its like a great tennis match. My Only issue is its too long to read everything.

The OP is a bit of a dark horse.

6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

No; it hasn't, but geez it's a barrel of laughs.

JDP1 and larrylarry like this.
  7. larrylarry

I've met a few like that in law school. I don't they are doing much these days.

8. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Awesome - a group of forum members discussing another forum member and no moderator in sight.

Great stuff guys.

Sorry for thinking a part of the forum about property market economics could include a discussion of banks and our tax system.

Clearly this entire forum is the "property is heaps good guys!"

Maybe start talking about anyone who noted Perth is going down. Can't have that.

9. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

One of the best things I have learned to do is to purposefully seek out alternative views on a subject I feel strongly about to see whether it either confirms or, heaven forbid, changes my viewpoint on the matter. It can be confronting, but it is a great way to challenge one's confirmation bias tendencies and to potentially grow from it. In other words, reading the posts of those with whom you disagree with, regardless of how many times you think you've heard it all before, with can actually be a good exercise in viewpoint upkeep.

Lisa Parker, WattleIdo, neK and 3 others like this.
  10. larrylarry

After 900 plus posts, the various positions are clear and will be so after 9000 posts.

I asked about hiding thread and blocking threads. Answer's been given.

Thank you. Have a good day all.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Plenty of moderators around - we just don't see anything against the rules here.

This is a discussion forum. People discuss things.

That also includes a discussion about forum members and their points of view on certain topics - happens all the time.

So long as there aren't personal attacks, the moderators are unlikely to take any action.

If you are so negative towards property (and property investors!), one must ask the question - why are you here?

Phantom and Perthguy like this.
  12. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

This isn't a personal attack?

"although that poster has popped up elsewhere unfortunately."

and

"It keeps any troll in the same place"

So being called a troll isn't a personal attack? I can start using that anywhere I like now?

13. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

in other words, love it or leave it...!

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Oct, 2015
  14. Simon Hampel

No, that's not what I said.

Are you a troll?

I was curious as to why someone who is not interested in buying an investment property and believes that property values will fall by over 50%, is hanging around on a property investment discussion forum.

The only reasons I can think of are:
    1. is truly interested in educating themselves about HOW to make money from investing in real estate and is just misunderstood
    2. is actually not interested and is just trolling
    3. is bored and likes to argue on the internet (aka trolling)
    4. thinks that property investors are evil specufestors and need to be taken down a couple of notches
    Did I miss any reasons? Please tell me, I'm genuinely interested.

There are over 80,000 posts here and over 1.2m posts on Somersoft - a large percentage of which are discussions about how to make money in real estate in all types of markets. If you really are interested in making money from real estate, you'll find the information here or on Somersoft ... or you'll find the people here who are actually doing it every day and are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

If you are not interested in learning like the rest of us - then why are you here?

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2015
    wylie and EN710 like this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@larrylarry

My manual solution if you're using desktop and are in Chrome

Press F12 - you will get this thing popping up
    upload_2015-10-16_9-5-16.png
    Go to "Sources"
    upload_2015-10-16_9-5-38.png

Add this code on the "Watch" column on the right hand side and press enter

upload_2015-10-16_9-6-29.png

@MGF there's no username mentioned on the replies, how do you know it's you?

16. Simon Hampel

That's a bit extreme isn't it? :p

Watch out for unintended consequences!

To be fair, a number of posters mentioned the "OP" and MGF did start the thread being discussed by many posters.

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

it's satisfying to see that thread suddenly gone from the list!
    Should be ok as long as that thread ID is unique :D

Ah! Didn't even crossed my mind.

18. Simon Hampel

Yes, the thread ID should not change - thread-3086 should be unique ... I'm just not sure where else that "li#thread-3086" identifier is going to be used.

Oh well, likely worst case scenario is you just miss some other links you weren't intending to - but given they are going to be referencing that particular thread you're not likely to care that much!

19. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Am I a troll? Are you being serious?

I happened to post a thread that came from a news article. It's relevant to the property economic area. The stuff I've written is a viewpoint that does exist out in the world. People other than me are concerned about NG and CGT discounts, etc.

People engage and we talk about it.

I joined because I wanted to learn more about buying a PPOR. I am also generally interested in ways to make money because my business income is increasing rapidly. My accountant actually suggested we buy an investment property because it would help reduce my taxable income. I have some reservations about that.

Why do you even have an area regarding property market economics if people talking about it can be labelled trolls? Should it only be filled with articles that support property investing?

All forums develop cultures and you as the one who started this site get to direct that. When people can call others a troll simply because they disagree you start a toxic culture. What is the next step? Someone says it's not a good idea to buy in some part of Sydney and they get shouted down and called a troll too?

You could have very easily said "here is how to hide stuff but let's not make this personal". You could have deleted posts that make it personal. You could have very clearly expressed that you support discussion of ideas and not posters on this forum. If someone is purely trolling then you'll get plenty of reports and you can take action.

But I get called a troll and you do nothing (and even say the same thing to me) because I hold a certain position on NG and the CGT discount.

That's how it goes with forums - people who oppose some majority idea get piled on and forced out. You don't moderate the comments. They leave. Now a new outlier exists - maybe someone who says investing in OTP is a bad idea.

Seriously, you need to decide what type of forum culture you want. Is it one where someone taking about NG in a property economics forum can get called names and you're okay with that? It only goes one place.

Esel likes this.
  20. Simon Hampel

No, I asked you if you were a troll.

I don't care about your position on NG and CGT discounts - lots of people are of the opinion that tax incentives such as NG and/or CGT discounts are not necessarily a good thing - or at least have some effect of distorting the market (which is actually what they are intended to do).

I care about whether you are here to learn and discuss things in a constructive manner - or here to push a point of view which does not add value to the site.

If I really believed you were here purely to troll, I wouldn't have asked I would have just banned you. I asked because I'm trying to get a feel for where your beliefs and attitudes lie and whether I think your dogmatic opinions will add value to this site or lower the tone in a destructive way. I'm still undecided on that.

When people call you a troll - they mean it in the Forrest Gump way - a troll is someone who exhibits troll-like behaviour. It's a description of how they perceive your posts because they don't understand you. Some people think you are trolling because they can't see that you are interested in learning about how to make money from investing in property.

Also, FWIW - nobody here thinks that buying OTP is a good idea :p

Perthguy likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.