How big is your folio untill acquisition stage ends

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Myendgoal, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

2 mil by the time I am 50 and then I will start to eat the capital at a rate of 100k a year. Nom nom nom nom

When i am 70 i will be broke and on the pension.

2. Myendgoal

Myendgoal Member

@Biz Sounds like a plan to nom nom it at 50.
    By 70 I don't need that much money, I can hardly eat and walk anyways.

3. Myendgoal

Myendgoal Member

@MTR I will do that too. I should look into development later on but risk is high in that field. Will go bankrupt if something goes wrong.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I've never had a figure for this; probably why I haven't succeeded to date....no real plan or goal to reach for it all.

My brain has only ever been about the ongoing process of acquiring income assets to replace income and get out of ever having to work again...first; IP's, then; businesses...that should be enough, right? :eek:

Myendgoal and WattleIdo like this.
  5. pommy

pommy Well-Known Member

Or you could 'store' that money in your ppor and go nom nom after 70.by downsizing every 5 years. Although more enjoyable to spend before 70 i guess.

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

I was waiting for my wife to get a job paying $200k a year so i could retire.:D
    20 years later i'm still waiting ! Dont they say that good things come to those who are patiento_O.

7. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I did two air conditioners this year. One of them was ducted. :(

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Ouch

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is that like "2 peanuts were walking down the street. One was a salted"
    :p

The Y-man

10. Finrod

Finrod Active Member

I'm surprised at the number of people who say "as much as the bank will lend me".

If the banks lend you $10M, and rates up 2% that's a $200k hit to your annual cashflow (minus gearing deductions of course). Add to that the likelihood that you cannot extend your IO periods when they end (thanks crAPRA) - will you be able to absorb a several hundred thousand dollar impact to cashflow ? Yes rents will go up, but unlikely to offset the whole amount.

As someone mentioned in another thread - I think there is an invisible line around borrowing amounts at which you should pause and consolidate before plunging back into accumulating assets. This line may appear before you hit the serviceability wall with your lender, hence its apparent "invisibility", meaning you can cross it without realising.

Just a thought; not intended as criticism.

Gingin likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the folks around here are not the average Joe and understand how to mitigate risks and assess their own financial situation etc quite well and that's why they relish the idea of more finance from the banks. Just my opinion.

Finrod likes this.
  12. flightcrank

flightcrank Active Member

I'm not surprised at all, its a property investment fourm after all. Its the only real way to gain any real wealth from property and "retire" early. But there is a very real risk of losing allot that way. I'm not going down that path myself but am happy to leverage to more comfortable levels and let time work its magic. I wont retire early, but i should still retire wealthy. at least wealthy enough to live comfortably.

Finrod likes this.
  13. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Kind of, just a lot more expensive

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I don't know, 70 is not particularly old. If I am healthy then I can't see why I wouldn't want to spend plenty of money. 80 is slightly different though.

15. Myendgoal

Myendgoal Member

I really need to nom nom some when im still young and beautiful. I know I shouldnt be buying useless toys but sometimes I just can't stand the tenants are driving mad cars have sea views and I cant even buy a 30k watch.

16. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I don't have a clear limit on acquisition phase. I've reached my first passive income goal and now taking a break from paid work. I'm going to continue buying though for a while longer, while the bank allows, so will go back to work later next year for a while to be able to satisfy lending requirements. I'm just doing it for fun though now, $60-70k pa with no mortgage is enough passive income for me.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia