How behavioral finance can help to achieve your goals?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by William@PFI, 1st Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. William@PFI

William@PFI Well-Known Member Business Plus Member

Clients will often know what they need to do with their money to maximize their returns, but sometimes they don't do it.
    It is important to establish good money habits, even among high net worth investors, such as delaying purchases by 24 hours to reduce impulse buys, researching any new investment to test past performance or to have a property valued by an expert before purchasing it.
    We often live with our mistakes for many years and would it not be better to avoid them all together.
    This is the value of advice....

Colin Rice likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Mistakes can be minimised but never avoided completely.

Personally I believe it's the ' trying to avoid all mistakes' which paralyses many folks and prevents them from the chance of building wealth .

3. William@PFI

There are simple habits that give you a head start and by following them you will minimise mistakes.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

people can learn those habits with a few library books. Whether the person actually acts is up to them. Sure a paid advisor can provide more accountability, just like a personal trainer instead of going to the gym alone.

the best (imho) would be if you had parents that are investors or businesspeople with good financial habits, and they teach the kids before bad habits form.

Meeds, Bunbury and MTR like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Follow the principles outlined by that great financial adviser, Charles Dickens, to his para-planer who stated.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. – Wilkins Micawber"

Meeds, Bunbury, geoffw and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1

Meeds and hammer like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

From personal experience I have found that there are some people that you can help.

They are doomed to remain poor or living pay cheque to pay cheque

What’s that saying…..You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink

8. William@PFI

I was always told "Watch the pennies & the pounds will take care of themselves" That was good advice however having good habits works. I often see people buying investments based on emotion and failing to do the research ands that's a recipe for disaster.

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Products such as A200, VAS, STW, VGS or other plain vanilla index funds do not require any detailed research. Asset allocation may but that's the extent of it. And after that has been done adhere to the rules "Don't look. Don't touch" and keep putting funds in no matter what. Following those removes emotion. And that is where the good habits (don't buy **** you neither need nor can afford) espoused by Dickens' Money Management Pty Limited are applied.

ChrisP73, Shazz@ and Colin Rice like this.
  10. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Money habits are really just life habits in disguise.

craigc, Redwing, Shazz@ and 2 others like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And life habits are based on your values.

That's why If you have the wrong values from the get go...it's all over by the shouting imo.

craigc and Colin Rice like this.
  12. William@PFI

As one reader said, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink. The effort that you put in, equals the rewards that you reap!.

13. William@PFI

Habits can be changed and you should never confuse them with values which rarely change.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho lasting new habits come about once there is a shift in a person's values,

I.e, do they still value crying victim or do they value personal empowerment and accountability.

That's why it's usually quite difficult for most folks to make new habits last and not fizzle out. They haven't made the internal value shift. And without that, nothing usually lasts.

My 5c.

15. William@PFI

I don't believe that one must change one's values to change one's habits, you just need to become aware that there is a better way and adopt it.
    From my experience core values rarely change as this is the very essence of our existence. You are right however habits can change and some don't last, often because we are not very dedicated to them or we lose faith in them.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When we tie our habits to our values we give them a meaningful purpose. Habits aren't just the processes we use to achieve our goals. They are a way of living our values. When we separate our habits from our values we develop a disconnect between what we say is important and how we actually behave.

Hence most new habits will be short lived unless we are able to tie it to a value that is so compelling to us, it sustains the new habit giving it time to establish and become second nature.

I respect your perspective but ultimately disagree.

craigc likes this.
  17. William@PFI

Then we agree to disagree