how are you protecting low properties from expected flooding

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 30th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

how are you protecting low properties from expected flooding

i
    've got sandbagsand men digging trenches in my garden hoping to stop the back of house flooding
    i've got bins near back door to catch the huge amount that comes off my roof during floods
    i think it was a friday night in 2012 that i had absolutel hell all night trying to stop my back of my house flooding
    moving my full bins of water far away to tip out and then brining them back near my roof to catch the huge amount coming down with no mercy for hours all friday night that year around was it 2012?

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Is this in Qld?

I think unfortunately the best method refers to "prevention is better than cure". Prior to any purchase, particularly in Qld, I have always checked flood maps which are very comprehensive these days on Qld council websites. If it's in a zone, even if minor, I wouldn't touch it. Unfortunately I'm no expert in secondary safety measures in this department. All the best and I hope it doesn't flood!

GapPhantom likes this.
  3. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

yes you are right
    the first i heard about flood zones was in the last floods
    i cant remember what my property is classed as
    i actually did quite well in my 100 year old house compared to others who had so many leaks and damage
    but the back of my house is low and i frantically worked all night to stop water getting in
    it got in a bit but i could dry the carpet with a blow heater
    myhuge efforts made the water entry very minimal
    i put garbage bags, sandbags, and as i said the huge amount of water coming off the roof i tried to keep catching in my big wheely bins and then wheeling away and emptying and kept doing that all night