How are you preparing your children

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Xenia, 3rd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Ha ha fantastic outcome. Poor dad.

MTR likes this.
  2. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

He was quite proud secretly. Hes a business man so could handle it :). Nothing better than a parent knowing their kids are independent. Because of the financial incentive I learned how to respect money. Went to university and worked at the same time so came out with no debt and also had a deposit for our first house. It was a really empowering incentive, would encourage any parent to consider the same for their kids.

Cactus, MTR, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well done @Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney and Xenia like this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Kate Moloney I'm now curious how your brother fared against you. :)

Kate Moloney likes this.
  5. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

My brother didn't fare as well, he loved buying too many toys in his teens :)

Xenia and Cactus like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Everyone's different and there is no one choice that is better than another.

My brother has opted for an easier life too. Singe, no kids, no properties, no responsibilities. Obviously the smarter one out of the two of us. :)

Kate Moloney likes this.
  7. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

Education is over-rated.

When I have kids, they will go out and earn me some money picking fruits at a farm.

Now I just need to have kids. And get a farm.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. SirDingo

SirDingo Well-Known Member

Personally, I found the majority of high school and university to be a waste of time. The education system was more of an indoctrination system in my experience, and far too many teachers were focused on preaching their own opinions and world view. This was especially prevalent in the social sciences. I found the actual academic content to be minimal. After uni, I discovered how little my scholastic 'education' meant to my employer, and that generally speaking, the system completely fails to educate students on the basic necessities of being prepared for adult employment.

The system I endured was very efficient at producing one thing in particular: obedient workers. Certainly, it discouraged any entrepreneurship, individualism or questioning of authority, and in my personal opinion, the system does a poor job of creating an educated, well-informed society capable of critical thinking and well equipped to transition from school/uni into the career of choice. Combine that with the influence of corporate mass media, and our system produces exactly what it intends to create: consumers. We have become a society of consumers.

One only needs to observe the behaviour and listen to some of the conversations of both teenagers and adults at the food court of the local Westfield mall to see the results of our society's education system.

Aside from teaching competency in Mathematics and English, I would personally rather see a reduction in the influence of teachers in the lives of our children, as I believe good parents are generally superior educators and impart a more practical and beneficial 'curriculum' than the Department of Education could ever provide.

As always, your mileage may vary ;)

2FAST4U and Xenia like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Was your degree in the social sciences, and which one(s)?

My uni studies involved very much questioning, and I studied mostly social sciences at BA level

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Problem is good parents are hard to come by, and these days many parents are sending their kids to school for parenting as much as education and taking a hands off approach to their kids.

I agree the education system isn't perfect, but let's not leave education to parents as that would be undeniably worse for the majority of the population.

11. SirDingo

SirDingo Well-Known Member

As I said, "your mileage may vary" ;)

Jess Peletier likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.