How are management fees paid on/by ETFs?

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by KayTea, 20th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

Newbie-to-ETFs 'quick question' (I hope) - how are management fees paid on ETFs?

eg. If an investment company (e.g.. Vanguard) has a fund available that can be purchased directly through the ASX, using a share code, then how does the company 'get paid'? Is there a 'bill' from the company, or do they just return less to the shareholders after they take their % of the shares increased value?

Cheers,
    KayTea

2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

You don't receive a bill.

You could expect an ETF that tracks its index perfectly to return the index minus the MER. How exactly this is taken from the fund and the frequency I can't help you with.

KayTea likes this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Vanguards funds have an expense ratio i.e.

VAS 0.15% p.a
    VEU 0.13% p.a.
    VTS 0.05% p.a

The expense ratio is its daily operating costs, expressed as an annual percentage

Hence why Bogle is always saying "costs matter", costs have a drag on your funds performance

Another fund may have

4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

But isn't it like paying for any other service? They are doing the work - I'm just investing in, and benefitting from, what they are doing? Or have I got it all wrong?

Sorry - I've read up on ETFs (but clearly, not in enough detail). I keep comparing my ETF knowledge to what I already know about trading individual shares, and I think I may be confusing myself. :(

5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I think you are on the right track.

The "fee" ETFs charge is known as a management expense ratio (MER) and is usually quoted as a %.

VAS has a MER of 0.15% so they take 0.15% of funds under management (FUM) per year in fees. The index it tracks is the ASX300 so expected performance is the ASX300 index minus 0.15%.

KayTea likes this.

What’s the one thing holding you back from having more time, money and freedom? Passive Income. And you’re just one smart Positive Cashflow investment away. Quantum Space commercial units return a huge 8% net AND we guarantee it for 12 months