How accurate should I expect the builder to be?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bernado, 23rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bernado

Bernado Active Member

Hey all,

So I am building my first IP and just got the invoice for the frame stage. I went out and measured all the rooms and all are pretty much spot on with the approved plan in terms of dimensions - except for one of the bedrooms.

The size of this bedroom on the plan is 2950 x 3150. The measurement I took frame-to-frame is 2950 x 3115. So it is 3.5cm smaller than the plan. Is this kind of variation generally expected and acceptable?

In addition to this, there is another potential problem with this room. This room is adjacent to the bathroom. There is a drainage hole underneath the frame between this bedroom and the bathroom, and it is 5-6cm visible in the bedroom (photo below). The builder has told me that this is for the wall-hung vanity in the bathroom (the drainage pipe will go inside the wall). If they are going to pack out the wall in the bedroom to hide the visible part of the drainage hole behind gyprock, then that would further reduce the size of the bedroom - which is not acceptable right?! Or am I just being pedantic?

[​IMG]

2. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Also... Are is the builder going to cut the frame to access the drain hole? Doesn't seem normal to me in my experience.

3. VR234

VR234 New Member

General advice,

1. In my opinion, typically speaking 35mm isnt a huge issue however I would definitely question it as to why the wall set out isnt exactly as planned. Could be a fair reason, (slab is out, squareness of walls, services in the way, or lining up other walls or difference in dimensions from different measuring points ). Keep in the mind the architect can make mistakes also.

2. As for the waste pipe, not sure of local regulations but I would dare say 100mm pvc pipe is not needed for a vanity waste. I would say the plumber might put a reducer in the wall stud with a smaller pipe (50mm?), to make sure it is completely internal of wall sheeting and no packing is needed.

lixas4 likes this.
  4. Bernado

Bernado Active Member

I didn't ask them this particular question, but I am guessing they will?

5. Bernado

Bernado Active Member

Hey thanks for that :). I'm not very technical and don't exactly know what you mean by "a reducer in the wall stud", but I'm guessing you mean they might put a smaller pipe inside that current pipe to fill-up the visible part in the bedroom - and the vanity waste will go through the smaller pipe right? (Sorry for the newbie question!).

6. VR234

VR234 New Member

Something like this;

Holman 100 x 50mm PVC DWV Male And Female Pipe Reducer

Not quite sure why they would put 100mm pipe in slab though, but once again not sure if your local plumbing regulations.

Speak to your builder, they should be across regulations for your area, reducer should solve issue of packing though

7. Bernado

Bernado Active Member

Ahh I see! Yes, that looks like it might solve that drainage hole issue! Thanks :).

8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Victoria Standards and Tolerances (2.06) states that the permitted deviation is the greater of 5mm or L/100, so 31.5mm in your case. http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/as...63/Guide-to-Standards-and-Tolerances-2015.pdf

lixas4 likes this.
  9. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

I'd firstly be checking that the dimensions on your plan add up correctly. No issue with the waste pipe, they will put a reducer on it and probably run 40mm in the wall.

Tools

10. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

But isn't the bathroom on the other side of the framing?

And they will still need to cut the framing to fit the reducer mentioned above.

11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I'm currently building a home and all the measurements were mm perfect.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The builder couldn't measure.

Heinz57 likes this.
  13. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

Seems odd to me.

Measurments should be perfect.

Wasnt the floor waste location marked on the plans? I wouldn’t like this location :confused:

14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Is the bathroom 3.5cm bigger? Maybe they moved the wall only as much as necessary in order to still give the bathroom vanity access to the drain hole (which is in the wrong place to start with)

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Install a trough on the wall. In the bedroom. Problem solved.

16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Or skip the wall altogether...

ss (2018-05-04 at 05.00.08).jpg

17. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

the piece of timber on the frame over the whole could not even be there and it wouldn't make a difference, they will just cut through.

100mm pipes are used in the slab to lesson chance of in slab clogs but also give you options later. A toilet could go here in 10 years for the next bathroom, a 40mm wouldn't allow that.

If everything was smaller then I wouldn't be happy, but would you even notice the difference without a tape measure?

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• They got the block right - check
    • They got the shape right - check
    • The number of rooms right - check
    • General arrangement right - check
    • Building envelope right - check
    Constructon is an art not a factory manufactured product. It's made by craftsmen and artisans not a machine.

Brickwork is laid to brick gauge not to the nearest mm.

Lower your expectatations and they will be exceeded.

Last edited: 5th May, 2018
    lixas4 and RPI like this.
  19. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Im glad im not building any of your homes. a lot of " i thinks" and "seems odd" with not a lot of hard facts apart from one or two posters

- Wall hung vanity - 100mm in slab correct reducer to basin waste

- 35mm size difference in one room.

This could be a multitude of things, literally 100's of things examples include
    - sub contracted out formwork of slab, turned out not quite square making job square
    - external wall? possible variation on ground and first floor plan dimensions, check 1st floor plans. by this stage trusses have been ordered, 35mm to big and your trusses are ****ed (if using roof trusses)
    - possible allowance for tiles on the back of wall for bathroom waste setouts
    - the 35mm is somewhere else on the job

Its good practice to have a look around site, be assertive, know whats going on.

if you don't know, ask.

Just remember the genie rule. 3 questions a week. thats it :D:D:D