Housing we'd choose study [WA]

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Big Daddy, 6th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Has anyone read this 2013 report? ~ 1071 participants
    The Housing we’d Choose: a study for Perth and Peel

Not surprising most want 4x2 detached house but in terms of affordability will trade down to a townhouse or 3 bedrooms in order to live closer to the city. None really want apartments of one bedders. Also most prefer to buy rather than rent (including the ones currently renting) if they can afford it.

What I find interesting is page 67 - Amenities. I wouldn't have thought Near a Shopping centre is ranked Number 1, whilst Park View and Ocean View is ranked quite low, and City Views ranked near the bottom. Anyone got an interesting take on this?

Housing Attributes.PNG
    partb.PNG

Property Guy and Perthguy like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think I actually put in a submission or completed an online survey. I would probably answer differently now. I would have said "no" to a one bedder back then but after seeing the Highgate single bedroom dwellings I would have to say "yes". They are brilliant.

3. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

What differentiates these Highgate 1 bedders?

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

5. Property Guy

Property Guy Member

It is possible to increase density whilst still providing many of these 'desires'. I would suggest a read of the urban design handbook. Also, many Australian homes are under occupied. So really it is not always the typology that is the issue, but how the houses are optimized, both within themselves but also in terms of urban design. Is the Great Australian Dream unrealistic? Certainly. but I do not think we have exhausted all options.