Housing slump "worst in decades"

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Pete Arendt, 24th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mues

mues Well-Known Member

So your core argument is that downturns don’t last forever.

Nobody is going to disagree with that.

So to be clear. I don’t agree with the majority of the meaning you have derived from all your statistics. But I do agree that downturns don’t last forever. Because nothing does.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Sep, 2018
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It seems pretty clear that there is a significant gap between the meaning you think I derived from the statistics and the meaning that I think derived from the statistics. So we can just agree to disagree and move on. I'll make my next post brutally clear so there is no room for misunderstanding.

3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Lots of keyboard warriors with unsubstantiated views @Perthguy
    I, for example, enjoy your posts and analysis so I hope it’s not altered too drastically.

4. mues

mues Well-Known Member

cool!

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading a range of views if they are backed up by reasonable arguments. I have learned a lot from people who disagree with me. I don't enjoy being sledged and have not learned anything from that.

In any case, it's very easy to make the case as to why household savings are important to the property market. While there are many ways to buy a house, for the average household in Australia, by far the vast majority will have to save a deposit and take out a loan to buy a house. Without household savings, most of these households would not be able to buy a house. It's as simple as that.

For their first house my parents saved a deposit, got a loan and bought a house.

For my first house I saved a deposit, got a loan and bought a house.

This is the norm in Australia.

Without household savings, there would be no deposits and many households would not be able to buy houses. The housing market would collapse. This means that household savings are absolutely integral to the property market and should not be dismissed as has been in this and other threads. Of course having a deposit doesn't mean people will buy immediately. Households buy when they are ready, when they feel prices are right and when they find what they are looking for. Having a deposit to buy a house and finding a suitable house to buy can take years. I have seen it take 3 to 5 years from deposit to purchase. This is important to understand.

I have been antagonised in this and other threads for raising household savings by people who claim that deposits are irrelevant. I don't agree and I should be able to express that view. This forum is a place for people to exchange ideas, not a platform to antagonise people who disagree with you.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  6. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Nobody antagonized you anymore than you did them. Nobody stopped you from expressing your opinion.

Even if they did. I wouldn’t let people on the Internet get under your skin.