Housing Prices over the last 380 years.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Harry30, 5th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

There is also a book about thinking short term, which encourages you to ignore the finality imposed by the maths of exponents and to look no further than the last 50 years of favourable property investment conditions (eg. credit expansion, wage growth, dual incomes, reducing interest rates, tax concessions, government incentives etc.) and extrapolate the continuation of them and the creation of new ones to eternity. It's called "The Lemmings' guide to property investing". ;)

scienceman and Harry30 like this.
  2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

It is actually only 345 years not 380 years.

Also be interested to know what the last 40 years has given considering the technology advancedment and the increase knowledge of property investing - think 40 years ago hardly anyone invested in property here in Australia and think about how easy it is to read up/learn on this information today.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Population growth, urbanisation of our cities, globalisation, end of the Industrial age, stability ie no world wars on home soil, technological advancements etc has nothing to do with the growth being backloaded??

I think its pretty useless to compare house prices of the last 50 years to say, 200 years ago.

Sydney may not be cheap but it's not alone in the context of capital growth in the last 40 or so years. Look at Paris, London, NYC, SFO, Stockholm, Vancouver etc.

Having said that, I'm not saying Sydney is immune to a fall in values - it's happening now and will continue to until it reaches a foundation level. I do agree with some that a large factor in prices being so high can be traced back to the availability of cheap credit.

Last edited: 8th Aug, 2018