NSW House with Potential Structural Issues

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by rvo, 25th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rvo

rvo Active Member

Hi,

I have been called by the agent for a property that they wanted to show again this weekend; they changed their mind and want to sell today. I believe this may have to do with rain this whole week in Sydney and potential issues with the property that would be evident on inspection.

This would be my first property. It was clear during my visit that there are definitely issues at the very least with the roof - see pictures attached of the ceiling.

A colleague of mine has access to RP data and the house would be on sale essentially at 25k discount.

What do you guys think? If you had to ballpark the costs of just structural repairs, would it be ~10k, ~20k, ~50k, 100k+?

Attached Files:

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Don’t look like structural issues to me. More like a water leak.

Is their cracking in the walls, brickwork, to the corners of windows and door frames?

3. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

Photos show water damage in my opinion. As you mentioned, there looked to be issues with the roof, therefore it's likely water is leaking in. The 4th photo looks like a crack, but hard to tell if it's hairline or more serious as the photo is blurry.

Are you planning to get a building inspection done? That would help clear up any questions you might have re: foundation/structural issues.

4. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Not a structural issue .. this house has a leaky roof.

Either valleys are flooding inwards or gutters are back flowing into the ceiling or could also be a few cracked tiles here and there.

Get someone to get into the ceiling through a cavity to check if any of the structural wood has any rot which is quite unlikely though.

You are looking at $20-30k fixes worst case (new gutters, gyprock repairs, some timber replacement in the ceiling etc etc.).

Last edited: 25th Feb, 2022
    rvo and tomerayz like this.
  5. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

Wondering if the leak near the light fitting in photo 1 could just be sanded/repainted (if no mould etc) or would that require a new ceiling?

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most if not all apart from the mould problem would be from a leaking roof over a long period and this is not something you would waiver the pest and building report on..
    The only problem I can see internal is in photo 5,sometimes from my small experience white ants termites leave that stain when water drips onto the tracks,just saying..

7. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

If previous owner knew there was a leak and didn't have the money to fix/re-roof, should've maybe put up some tarpaulin?

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Are you that desperate for the property? This looks like one of those situations where someone who knows how to fix it could get a bargain. But if you don't know what the problem is, you also don't know how much it will cost you.

9. rvo

rvo Active Member

Hi - no that crack was on the plasterboard on the ceiling. It ran through the entire wall in the living room area. I know it's hard to tell from the photo but it was not very wide (maybe half a centimeter?)

10. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Thats what happens when plasterboard gets wet. Get a B&P if you have time.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia