House with past termite damage

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Chaumander, 20th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Chaumander

Chaumander Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a B&P report on an old house (100+ years) that has past termite damage, along with some other things that puts it at 'fair' condition.

Nothing irreparable but the termite damage makes us hesitate as there also hasn't been any management system in place. The inspector didn't seem too concerned though and just said we need to put a management system in place and do annual inspections.

What do you think based on the following? How much should I lower my offer by for management and contingency? Inspector said management should be around $3k.

"Despite no live termite or timbered pest activity being indicated, termite damage was
    found to have affected this area.
    It is advised that the area be visually inspected frequently to ensure that the condition
    of affected building materials does not worsen.
    A building contractor may be appointed to provide a further invasive inspection."

upload_2020-10-20_13-16-27.png

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It is more the outside and surroundings of the house that should determine what if any discount you might want to apply (but basically NONE).

Did you see the sensational story on free to air/channel ? the other night, 1 in 3 Sydney houses estimated to be affected by termites at some point :eek:

Check in the meter box for any pesty sticker, they may have been getting done :)

If it's 100 years old and would appear to have very minimal damage and it's been repaired at some point, I'd call that a win ;)

Keep under the house ventilated, regularly check for water leaks, keep gardens away from sides of house remove all the old timber off the ground, pay for an annual (or 6 monthly) inspection :cool:

Last edited: 20th Oct, 2020
    Angel likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I offered $10,000 less in Melb or seller repair, seller reduced $10,000
    Be cheeky, worse thing that can happen is they counter

4. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

I am in a similar situation with a 40 years old house. House has had termite damages (they are saying it's only in the roof). They have installed a termite barrier 10 years ago and no issues afterward. Probably it needs a new termite barrier now.

House if fair bit discounted due to this incident. I am wondering if there are long term impacts when dealing with termite damaged houses? When I want to sell it again, probably that will affect badly, but other than that. Is there anything else I need to worry about? Thanks.