House with development potential

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ceagles, 19th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ceagles

ceagles New Member

I'm looking at buying a 3 bedroom house which is zoned R4 on 450sqm. It's on a main road, but in a great suburb and very close to the train station, which means about 12 minutes from Central Station in Sydney.

The council's local control plan has a diagram of this house amalgamated with two houses either side of it into an apartment building as the 'desired future state'. This sketched apartment block is 4 levels high, with approximately 12 units.

The FSR is currently 1.1, however, the state government has released a report which recommends this to be increased to 2.1. The height restriction is 17 metres.

The purchase price will likely be just over $1.5m. My ideal situation would be to get a DA approval on just this block. I would try and get the FSR increased as there is a similar sized block around the corner that managed to get 12 units approved through the land and environment court. I would then look to sell without constructing.

The major issues are:
    - It is very close to the train line (the next house is adjacent to the train, about 25m)
    - Council not wanting to deviate from their density plans by allowing one block to construct in isolation, leaving the block next door as an 'orphan' adjacent to the train line
    - There are other high density projects in the area, with a surplus of apartments in the short term

I was hoping to get people's thoughts.