WA House used as a salon (hair and nail) safety?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by kelra, 19th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kelra

kelra Member

I looked at a great property today that also has been used as an at home nail salon for the last four years. The tenant lives there with her family and this is her home business. But my, did it smell. I hate nail salons and the like, the fumes really get to me and I am not confident that there will not be some residue from this business left in the house. I just can't find any info on it. Can anyone shed some light on what this does to a house?
    Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Read the MSDS for the chemicals used by the industry.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Strange! I've seen many 'work at home' Hair dressing set ups, but they've been owner occupiers.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hair salons and nail salons are so different though. Those nail salons really stink. I wonder if the chemical smell stays in the plasterboard. I'm wondering if you'd have to ditch the carpets and curtains as well.

skater and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My hairdresser now works from home and it is her husband's Defence Housing rental. She is allowed to operate as a tenant but is not permitted to put up a sign outside.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Nail salons will have odours from tolulene benzene and acetone. They are solvents common to nail products and plastics based polish or removal of them. They evaporate rapidly as they are volatile but are really harmful to breathe or touch wet. The odour is a hydrocarbon aromatic and its toxic and has links to cancer (esp benzene). . But when the activity ceases the odour should cease as a hydocarbon evaporation is what releases the odour.

I always see the workers with masks (even pre-COVID) and question why they bother. If you can smell it - You are inhaling it. A mask doesnt do anything. Here is what firies wear to avoid it :
    upload_2020-8-21_11-36-57.jpeg

wylie likes this.
  7. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I once have a tenant converted my IP into a naturapathy clinic. At one stage I thought she was only a private practitioner working on friends but it was a commercial operation. She even applied to the local council and got "approved" for business operation although my house was zoned residential. The council then asked for the house to achieve compliance for such a business. The tenant said we "agreed' as she didn't disclose it was commercial she wanted to do.

Anyway, we have the difficulties of terminating the tenancy agreement or have the compliance done. The council didn't give a damn, they said they just look at the application "as is" without considering whether it was from a tenant or owner of the property.

So, smells aside, there are trickier businesses to handle. Not to mention any insurance issues when the flammable liquids catch a fire. All hells broke loose. :eek: