Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

House rented, working in uk. Can I complete tax return and claim rebate on return and working?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Mandyme, 27th Jan, 2016.

  1. Mandyme

    Mandyme New Member

    27th Jan, 2016
    I have a house in Queensland that I've rented out as I'm working in the uk for a couple of years. Can I still complete a tax return and claim any rebate when I return to work in Australia?
  2. A rebate ?? Do you mean a refund ?? Refunds represent a refund of excessive tax withheld...There is no refund system for tax losses. They may accumulate while away and assist you when you come back (maybe).

    The first step is to determine tax residency (getting on a plane is not a change in tax residency) and obtain tax advice on how the rents will be taxed in both AU and UK. Qld has a special land tax rule that affects non-resident owners of land you should check too.