House on odd shaped block of land

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Thanos D, 15th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Thanos D

Thanos D Member

0D262D19-739F-4129-8734-4F5160F7A9F8.jpeg FFAAA8E0-1A04-4F89-BCB4-8592DFB8155B.jpeg Hi all,
    Just thought experts and savvy home buyers could shed light on this.

I inspected this house on an odd shaped block of land(as you can see in top image). It’s little over 700m2.
    Does this affect future value?
    Or limit redevelopment potential?

Plus, the frontage is tucked inwards(bottom image. Indicated in red) between adjoining neighbours.
    Will this cause any issues with value or development? Or any other forseeable problems?

rookie likes this.
  2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

If thinking from development potential down the line, it can be bit of pain (depending upon the frontage and all).. Best to speak to local council/architect if thinking development down the line..

And depending upon how the current house is built on the block/it's appeal, it may or may not affect the future value .. Ppl tend to care relatively less about the block shape if it's got a house on it and backyard/side yard which flows nicely along the house that family/kids can use ... At the same time, if backyard/sideyard is tucked away in some corner due to the way house is built, it can have potential affect on property value ..

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Are you intending to develop it and if so, what exactly?

4. Thanos D

Thanos D Member

Thanks for the advice.

5. Thanos D

Thanos D Member

Not really in the near future. But down the line, absolutely. Perhaps duplex

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Depending on which council it's in, you'll need to first check the 149 certificate (planning certificate in the contract of sale) to see what zoning applies and then talk to council (or a town planner) about what the requirements are. From memory, if it's in Parramatta council (only using this as an example) the min frontage width is 15m so it looks like your restricted frontage would be an issue. Best to speak with the relevant council. Good luck.

7. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

That's not too dissimilar to the shape of our house block - which I bought BECAUSE of the odd shape and think adds a lot of potential value (wasn't done well when we bought it). The lack of frontage can be seen as a bonus as you are not wasting land on typically unused area (i.e. front yard) - as long as it doesn't make the place look tiny which will depend on fencing etc. You've got 2 distinct outside zones (pool, alfresco) that wrap around your kitchen area and I think could be made to look really nice with the right landscaping. Our block is 1150m2 but looks near double that from the kitchen as you look out towards the apex of the triangle. Use the trick of wide trunk plants/trees close to house and becoming smaller further away towards the point to make it appear deeper. Then make the whole pool/alfresco area open up by knocking the walls down and using alfresco style doors so the kitchen area becomes part of the outdoor area and it will look awesome.

Development wise though you'll have next to no chance (my opinion only) unless you demolish the house, and even then the small frontage would make it very difficult to fit much on there given building codes with limits on border proximity etc. There'd be much better blocks around if developing is your goal.

8. Thanos D

Thanos D Member

Thanks. I’m actually putting a hold on the offer coz of the land shape...

9. Thanos D

Thanos D Member

Thanks for the detailed advice. That’s really helpful to know.