House&Land - What Landscaping?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Luca, 6th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what you usually do in terms of landscaping? I guess a 1.2 concrete all around is really important, especially if in the Northern and Western areas here in Melbourne. Do you add agi and caulking to give an extra protection?

What`s about the front landscaping? Do you spend much money on it to have a better street appeal or spend the minimum? Honestly I am thinking to go full concrete on the back (small backyard)...:)

Paging the gurus @Cactus @sash @Connor

2. Steven_S

Steven_S Well-Known Member

Assuming this is for an IP...

Landscape to suit the market you've built into? What do your renters demand?

Depending on strategy you may landscape slightly better than the norm of the estate to give your property an edge over the others or at least a point of difference - but without going nuts.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Don't go over board.

I usually color concrete to side of garage and run it the back of house and have an area 3x3 outside of the back slider for a BBQ....landing.

As my houses are smaller a use stones, crushed rock for other paths. Some grass, mulch and low maintenance plants.

Cactus likes this.
  4. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Pretty much keep it fairly basic. Usually, black mulch and a few small plants for front yard. I use lilydale topping and crushed rock for the backyard area. Also large pavers for walkways/paths.
    I only really concrete part of the boundary of the house and entertainment area. But again its minimal.

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Attractive but low maintenance is the mantra. Tenants don't like taking care of yards and they usually don't.

Get a little creative with the front and you can make a cool looking garden that doesn't need any care- desert plants with a stone bed, etc, avoid things like palm trees and hedges.

Also, I know it seems like common sense, but do a good job! Pay attention to drainage, quality weed matting, good garden bed lining materials (varnished timber, hardwood, concreted pavers etc, don't cheap out here), put down plenty of topsoil and baby the grass till it takes.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Do any of the builders throw in a landscaping package? $3-5,000

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Almost all the builders will offer landscaping packages, but I find them to be poor value for money and they're a bit lazy about the details. If you're local, have the time and motiation I think it's best to do it yourself.

8. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

@MTR for a small house let`s say around 17sq front and back is in the 2k/3k ball park figure. Custom builders usually do, big names usually not.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia