House built over two blocks

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by annaw5599, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

Hi all
    Not sure if best place to post this ... looking at buying a property down here in tassie opposite the beach. It's an original 1960s brick house built across two blocks. Anyone know costs for redefining boundary ? We are thinking could purchase it and build new dwelling and sell off current property. Block size is 1118 m2. Any ideas ? Thanks

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Check for flood risk if buying near a beach. Flood risk will may rule out development. The cost to develop a block is significant. The local council should be able to assist.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@annaw5599 - why do you want to redefine the boundaries? I would hazard a guess that you want to consolidate the site ie put it onto one title only.

It may be advantageous to purchase one lot each (if possible) or also possible to build two houses.

@bmc or @lixas4 may give some guide as to costs.

willair and bmc like this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

is the house sitting right in the middle of the lots or do you think it is built only on the single lot.
    if you're not sure have a look at the Deposited Plan (should be attached to the sale contract). get a rough measurement from the side fence to the centre boundary. if the house is clear (on only one lot) then you may not need to reconfigure the lots (subdivide) that is of course if the LEP permits.

or is there a survey report provided, if not in Sydney we charge between $1000-$1500 for a Identification survey, for a basic 'run of the mill' property in the burbs. its probably cheaper in Tassie

willair and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

We control a few like this in inner Brisbane-house sits in the middle of both blocks already have 2 street numbers on the property title deed but the house sits in the middle ..If this was in Brisbane on 1118 sqm's
    within 5 klms from the central cbd then it would cost very little to split those blocks,by the sounds of this the block is already split by the title deed ..In Brisbane all the target these type of blocks as they are now very rare they level what's sitting above the footprint and just sell the 2 vacant blocks,money for nothing..imho..

6. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

So house is built across 2 blocks - the original 1960s house was renovated and so the addition goes onto the second block, over the boundary. Way back when befor eland cost a premium !! I understand only one street number though.... @bmc do I just ask the agent for the deposited plan ?

7. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

Thanks everyone I'm new to this ! I'm just chatting with the agent there is no deposited plan or survey report. It's a double block but I'm thinking on one title now maybe. I've got. A meeting with council town planner next week so should find out more then. It's a tricky thing to price as we are only interested in the block if we can build a second new dwelling and sell off the old house... our other option might be looking into dual occupancy possibly ... air BnB options etc

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

With electronic titles, the DP no longer accompanies the sales document only a copy of the CT.

You can order the DP online through the various providers or your solicitor.

annaw5599 likes this.
  9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

and, if you only have 1 title document it could be an "Auto-consol folio". that is 1 folio containing multiple lots. sometimes these individual lots don't have a building entitlement. that is can't be individually built upon. The duty planner can verify this.

annaw5599 likes this.
  10. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

What I can access online are folio text and plan or a property report ... will either help me ?

11. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

It would suck if it couldn't be individually Built on and we aren't Interested in purchasing of this is the case ... hopefully meeting with town planner will give me this info