House affected by catchment flooding controls

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by balwoges, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Looked at a house at Jewells [just out of Newcastle] yesterday, liked it - however there is a creek way down the bottom of the yard, found out it is in a catchment flooding area which feeds into Jewells Wetlands. It flooded 2007 and came up to the back door of a couple of properties in the street. I understand from a neighbour that the council installed a new pipe and there has been no flooding since, even in the severe storms we had last month.

The property I am interest in is built on the high side of the land with most of the living space on first floor.

I am aware if I bought :rolleyes: at the right price if I wanted to sell,subsequent buyers would baulk at the prospect and it would always be harder to sell and never attract a premium price.

Am I mad to even contemplate buying :mad:

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

What's shown on the Newcastle flood maps?

3. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Can you find the council rules eg hanitable floors need to be at least xy above the one in one hundred year flood level, find out where the council measures from and get a surveyor to do a survey that the house is anove the flood level

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Spoke to Lake Macquarie Council today, backyard is deemed to be at high risk of flooding, house is well back on high side of land and is deemed low risk, 149 Certificate would show 1/100 year risk even though it flooded in 2007 [Pasha Bulker storm] Council suggested I have a flood survey carried out.

Lake Macquarie flood map shows the area marked in orange and is a designated flood catchment area.

5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@balwoges
    Best to ring councils engineering department and get a flood report.

May cost you around $30.