Hot water system

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by jins13, 6th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi

Just confirming that a rheem hot water system has a 10 year warranty and if there are issues such as brown/yellowish water coming out of a tap, the warranty should cover it?

cheers
    Jimmy

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

It depends on what is written in the warranty. Also does it transfer to subsequent owners? Does it run from date of purchase, installation, commissioning or handover?

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I've never had a 10yr warranty on a HWS. You might get 12-24 months?

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Will let you guys know how l go. Advised the tenant to obtain the details so l can give rheem a call

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The anode might have a shorter life but the stainless steel or glass liner may last more than 10 years.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It may not be the HWS itself,it may be due to the pipework some older house have still the old gal pipework over time the pipes rust out inside,,and the rust will block the pipes making the supply come out the like you are talking about,it may be a bigger problem then the HWS Itself..imho..

bob shovel likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

as @willair said. If you have gone away for a few days and come back to brown/yellow water coming when first turning taps on you have some rusted sections of pipe. Check the meter to see if you have gal coming off it

8. xanh

xanh Active Member

I've just had a fault with a Rheem hot water storage tank. It was only 2.5 years old so I thought it was under warranty, but the plumbing guys that installed it said there's only 12 months and I think about 7 years on the tank.

The water was too hot and couldn't be turned down. The problem was some control unit or something. They wanted 650-750 to fix it. I'm looking at getting another quote.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. Not liking the diagnosis and still wsiting on the details from the tenant.

10. bob shovel

A hot water system is pretty basic, it's just a big insulated kettle!

Not heating - it's the element. Swap element. Get a hot water guy not a plumber. Not sure how much they charge these days but I'd think around the 200 mark
    Not being able to adjust temp - thermostat. Try a hot water guy but it's electrical from memory so may need sparky to swap over (I'm a bit rusty with hws)
    Rust or leaks tank needs replacing, or relief valve stuffed, plumber

My old man is a sparky and as a kid he told me to put an add in the local paper to do hot water systems! Cash, simple work. An element is about 15min work and usually the problem if not heating

11. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Unless it's gas.
    Or a gas plumber.
    Might be a tempering valve.

12. mush

mush Well-Known Member

I believe that an average hot water system has a life expectancy of around 10 years,not a warranty for this amount of time. As a building inspector this appears to be correct on average,however I do find hot water systems that are older,the odd one even 20 years old .....

13. Capella

Capella New Member

Last week I had thermostat, element and conduit covering the circuit (this bit was courtesy of the whipper snipper and unrelated to not having hot water) on Rheem electric HWS. Total cost to sparkie was $170 which included out of town travel of approx 60km round trip.

If the water is running hot you more than likely need a plumber. If you have running water but it's cold it's electrical.

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

should be interesting. Have a Rheem guy going tomorrow. FYI its a Rhemm opima 250l electric.

15. bob shovel

Any idea if you have gal pipes?
    Old mate will let you know

jins13 likes this.
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Not too sure, but was informed a tec will be down to the property between 8am to 4pm.

17. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The larger Rheem tanks have a 10 year warranty but they are clear that you need to flush out the system every 6 months

18. xanh

xanh Active Member

I was thinking about this recently and I wondered what the statutory warranty would be on a hot water system. If it was 'reasonable' that a hot water system would work for 10 years, would the statutory warranty reflect that?

19. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Sounds like the tank has had it. The brownish water you're describing sounds like rust. If it is consistently the same colour. Had this happen to me several times over different properties. Eventually if not dealt with with cause the tank to leak water from the actual system. Unfortunately not much can be done apart from a system change. They say should last about 10ish years but I've found under decent use only goes about 7-8. That's a generalisation of course. I recently changed a 250litre one for about 550 from Masters. Not including installation.

20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update guys, ongoing issue with Rheem who is trying to tell me the HWS DOM is 1997 which l think is highly unlikely. l have previously seen the date of man as 2007 but surprisingly the sticker is ripped when l checked it last night. FYI rheem optima is a 10 year warranty

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2015

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia