Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Hot water service

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Beelzebub, 23rd Oct, 2015.

1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Apparently I need a new hot water service. The tenant has suggested something that makes sense to me, I want to know what you guys think.

Currently I have two problems, the hot water service was installed on a timber deck causing it to bow. The tenant said that if I put in a continuous flow hot water service and mount it on the wall he could fix the deck for a slab. (He's a chippie)

I don't know how comfortable I am with the situation, but it does make sense. Originally I was planning to fix the deck anyway.

My understanding would be that replacing the hot water service would be tax deductible but the deck wouldn't be (recent purchase so the deck would be capital in nature). So in that sense the tenants suggestion is win win. He gets a better hot water system and I can get 35% of the cost back at tax time. Additionally I get my deck fixed at no cost and with little stuffing around. (And I need to fix the hot water service anyway)

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Last edited: 23rd Oct, 2015
  2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

the continuous flow hot water units are gas only. is yours electric or gas?

but yes sounds like a good idea if it's gas

Beelzebub likes this.
  3. Beelzebub

Yep, gas

4. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

If that type of not water service suits you go for it. If not can you relocate it?

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

The only issue I can foresee, having a tenant do repairs is:
    1. What if he delays doing the promised work?
    2. What if the repair is not up to your standard?
    It can get a bit messy and the reason why personally I always decline these types of requests and have my own tradies do it.

6. Beelzebub

That's the risk I guess. Particularly with the delay in getting the work done IMO.

But I have to get the HWS anyway and I have to fix the deck anyway. So I figure if the agreement falls part I've wasted (sort of) an extra couple of hundred bucks on a better HWS than needed, but you know maybe a continuous flow will attract better tenants or something.

But if he does do the deck properly then I don't have to worry about it. And, if he doesn't do it to my standard I won't buy him the slab he negotiated.

7. Laker

Laker Member

Instantaneous hot water services need more gas to run than a storage HWS, so this usually involves upsizing the existing gas pipes. Extra $$

8. Beelzebub

Yeh, I know. Need to install an external power point too. I can't remember where the main is, hopefully not too far from where the thing will be installed