Hostplus v AustralianSuper

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by William Oor, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. William Oor

William Oor Active Member

2. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

AustralianSuper has been doing very well and is highly rated, why would you want to switch?

Unless you can guarantee Hostplus can do better!

3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Looking at ATO tool, AustralianSuper is cheaper from fee perspective. Below example is for $50K balance. Fee difference might be much bigger for larger balances.

There is very little separating them performance wise. I would stay with AustralianSuper.

436D33F0-2663-492B-8653-1F9AFDFE32A4.jpeg

Redwing and William Oor like this.
  4. William Oor

Thanks for the compare.
    I just ran the compare again on $250k and the fees are around $1700 for AustralianSuper and $2800 for Hostplus. This questions what the guy in the video said??

Always a good idea to check the info / advice that we receive.

These tools are all new to me, so learning what's available as I go. (I wish I had the tools 20years ago, I would have made better choices).

Anyways loving the forum and all the tools available Via ATO and super funds.

5. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I am in Hostplus and the wife in Australian Super.

No major complaints, but I have noticed the cost of the various insurances (Life, TPD etc) seem quite a bit higher in Host if you are considering this. It's a little difficult to compare though as diff ages and incomes etc.

William Oor likes this.
  6. Noobieboy

From memory AustralianSuper is among three cheapest funds when it comes to insurance. Their large size gives them a strong bargaining power. The other two were Unisuper and QSuper if memory doesn’t fail me.

chindonly and William Oor like this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Doesn't impact me but it may others when it comes to insurance within superannuation.

Anything and Everything about Superannuation

William Oor likes this.
  8. William Oor

Thanks for above 3 replies.
    I am now looking into insurance options.

So any other feedback appreciated.

9. structurelover

structurelover Well-Known Member

Hey there William.

I'm with Hostplus, and my girlfriend is with AustralianSuper.

We are both not with the balanced (default) fund. We have proportioned our super to International Shares and Australian Shares. This is my personal choice as I do not want any exposure to the credit market (cash, bonds, etc) and potential unlisted assets (illiquid and valuation may be shonky)

Fees and Costs
    Hostplus IFM Australian Shares - 0.03% Fee
    Hostplus International Indexed Shares - 0.07% Fee

Super with Low Fees | Our Fees & Costs | AustralianSuper
    AustralianSuper Australian Shares - 0.18% Fee
    AustralianSuper International Shares - 0.44% Fee

inbaaa, Ynot, Buzzman81 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Funds aren't like residential investors, they aren't fickle and sell at the hint of crystallising a gain.

Only ⅓ of a direct property portfolio is valued annually - by a team of valuers or several companies. Discussion will revolve around cap rates, risk, WALE, asset plans, redevelopment, repositioning of assets - alot less likely to have a few shonky operators trying to pull the wool over the eyes of a bank.

Yes, unlisted assets are harder to divest but these are core assets which are infrequently traded if ever eg 50 Bridge St Sydney was AMP's head office, it was demolished and reopening early 2022 (tenants fitout delayed due to covid). AMP have held this unlisted asset (essentially a whole CBD block) since it's establishment. Yet AMP has also increased it's stake in several regional shopping centres spending $B last year alone.

William Oor and Noobieboy like this.
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Does AustralianSuper provide an indexed fund option? Or is that last one what I'm looking at?

12. structurelover

structurelover Well-Known Member

Fair enough Scott, I have to admit I don't know the exact nuts and bolts of how these unlisted assets are valued across multiple supers. But it is more so my individual preference to have no exposure to such assets.

Hey Jay,

I can not see any public information about an indexed option for AustralianSuper. Perhaps send them an email to clarify. I'd be interested to hear their response.

jaybean likes this.
  13. Noobieboy

They have ETFs via Member Direct option. But escapes me why I would avoid unlisted assets when they often provide extremely high returns (like venture capital) or very stable income (like infrastructure). They also constitute a small percentage of the premixed options. But each to their own, people gotta do what they are comfortable with.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. jaybean

I switched away from them about 6 months ago and they didn't, so I was wondering if things had changed.

15. jaybean

What are those options called in AusSuper terms? I'd like to learn more too, I'm not stuck in my ways.

16. Noobieboy

17. jaybean

No I mean the unlisted options you spoke about, what do they call these products? I'm interested in learning more.

18. Noobieboy

Look at their premixed options like balanced and high growth. Has infrastructure and private equity (depending on the option)

jaybean likes this.