Hostile Neighbours and trees

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by MBT, 14th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MBT

MBT Active Member

Hi all,

We have an IP at present which backs onto a bush nature reserve. The street is a cul-de-sac and our house was the first in the street built (early 90's). When we bought the place a few years ago there were approximately 10 large gum trees in the front yard.

The neighbour on one side complained constantly to other neighbours and the PM about leaves filling her gutters and the shade from the trees causing mould to build up inside her house. The Neighbours daughter got involved and has wrote to the PM asking if I could remove the trees. She then called the local councils fire department complaining that my front yard is a bushfire hazard (but the block backs onto bushland anyway?!). Therefore, last year (out of the goodness of my heart) I payed about 10k to have the larger trees cut down, leaving a few smallish gums which provide a bit of privacy to the tenant.

Our tenants have been great over the years, and I got talking to the current one. Apparently the neighbour is still complaining and got into the man across the road's ear. He rocked up with a chainsaw one afternoon and confronted the tenant saying he was going to cut them down. Luckily my tenant had the courage to stop him. I feel violated because the house is so far away, I have spent 10k already on the work I think is acceptable, and the neighbours are bullies and vindictive.

What could I do as a landlord to prevent this man cutting down any more trees? PM's?

Cheers

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Have you reported the incident to the council?

Kangaroo likes this.
  3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The tenant needs to make a written report to your PM and contact the police so that there is documented proof.

This is another case where the PM needs to step up and mediate the situation.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Document what you've done so far, and do what the others have said, but also take photos of what is left. If you are not local, ask your tenant to take photos, send them to you via email so they are dated.

5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Its up to the Council to order you to cut down dangerous trees.

That said if the tree is in fact dangerous eg overhanging their roof , then you have an obligation.

If they continue to harass you , then ask your PM to talk with them and there is a mediation service you can both attend run by the State Govt.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

How "smallish"?
    And how close to neighbouring houses?
    Marg

7. E.T

E.T Active Member

People these days have to much time on their hands, get a good lawyer and instruct him to start a harassment suit against them, they will soon shut up.

MBT likes this.
  8. MBT

MBT Active Member

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

The remaining trees are approx 5 m high and the trunk would be somewhere between 5-6 metres away from the neighbours fence and another meter or so away from their house.

The trees are very leafy and provide privacy for the tenant.

Ive gotten something in writing which I will now pursue with the council.

Thanks again