NSW Hornsby surrounds for PPOR.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gabbaking, 9th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gabbaking

Gabbaking Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.

Wife and I in the market for a PPOR, budget is approx 1M and the area we liking are Hornsby, thornleigh and Normanhurst surrounds.

We are currently renting in Ryde and love the proximity to the city however Ryde seems to be so over priced, its not even funny. Anyway, we are planning on checking out the below properties this weekend and wondering whether anyone has any experience with the above mentioned suburbs? Schools, housing commission, travel time to city, demographics etc.

Hornsby seems to have few decent schools which is always a plus and also westfield nearby. Another thing, I would like to find out is the Hornsby Council stance on cutting trees on your own property. Some of these properties are quite leafy and seems to waste of backyard space.

3 Lochness Place, Hornsby, NSW 2077
    11 Fern Tree Close, Hornsby, NSW 2077

Anyway, I am hoping get some feedback.

Thanks in advance
    Gus

2. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Yeah. Nah!

"Hornsby Shire is known for its leafy urban character and significant bushland areas. Council is committed to protect and preserve these unique aspects of our Shire."

Hornsby Shire Council - Trees on My Property

Although, there are some allowances, and also the 10/50 bushfire provisions (if applicable) - but you're not going to be able to bulldoze them all. The first one seems to have a good sized grass patch already, perfect for a bit of backyard soccer.

I'm not following the area, but if you want a freestanding home, $1m is around the minimum.

Train to the city is good. Parking at the station not so good. There is parking at the station, and extra at Westfield, but it fills up early. You could nearly walk from both properties - but the first one would be an uphill slog in the morning. Good downhill run in the evening.

Schools I don't know.

3. Gabbaking

Hahahaha, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it seems like Hornsby council is quite stringent regarding the trees. Don't get me wrong, I love trees and would like a few in the backyard but some of these properties are packed with them similar to this:

7 Lochness Place, Hornsby
    7 Lochness Place, Hornsby NSW 2077 - House For Sale | Domain

I mean, it could be considered a serious fire risk given the volume of trees in the backyard. Definitely the budget is tag north of mil and seems to be able to get few decent houses.

Great points regarding the parking. I guess, that's quite common everywhere. I do like the flexibility of training to Chatswood or the north Sydney for dinner. Should be interesting to see how the commute will pan out ones the metro is completed to Barangaroo. As per my calculation, Hornsby to Barangaroo should be around 45mins (which includes train to Chatswood 24mins and then a metro to Barangaroo approx 15min)

I haven't been there recently but didn't the station parking went through bit of a overhaul?l Also,anyone to shed some light in terms of night Life? We are a young couple and do like dining out and having a pub meal frequently. I heard Wahroonga has some really nice for cafe for early breakfast and lunches.

4. Gabbaking

*Excuse the typos guys. Mobile website is lagging whilst typing.

5. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Certain areas are bushfire zones and the 10/50 provision was a bit controversial because some people were using it to clear excessive amounts.

Nightlife in Hornsby - there are some restaurants around the outside edge of the Westfield - near the fountain. Several options there - Korean one was pretty popular, Thai, modern Australian, Chinese, etc. The Foodcourt inside closes early. Movies, but not much else. Several pub/clubs nearby.

You should definitely go to Wahroonga for breakfast or brunch!

Gabbaking likes this.
  6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I have not lived in the area for 15 years but frequently visit. Whilst it isn't Barangaroo for night life there are plenty of options locally so you'll be fine there. Where you're looking specifically in Hornsby has always been the "cheaper" side of Hornsby on that side of the tracks away. Think it is only that way because the other side is closer to Wahroonga etc. You can get good value in terms of buying as you point out, but you're in the bush so you're going to be limited on being able to do much with the trees.

7. Gabbaking

Thanks guys for the comments so far.

Yeah, I agree nightlife is not going to be extraordinary but that's not we are not chasing anyway. As long as long, we are able to get out and about after work nights for a feed and few drinks and not at a RSL, it should be good. Haha

Anyone able to advice what's this 10/50 provision?

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

As soon as you have kids, though, you wont be going out to Barangaroo much.

9. Gabbaking

Hahaha, speaking from experience I'm assuming?

I know, whilst we are young and have no dependents make the most out of it.