NSW Hornsby or Baulkham Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by KingCantona7, 23rd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KingCantona7

KingCantona7 Well-Known Member

@thunderstrike888 do you have any feedback on commute to the city? I work in Parra and my partner in the city , so when we eventually go back to work we may need to rely on buses.
    So far I haven't heard any bad reviews from BH to city but keen to know your views

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

If you buy in BH there are HEAPS of bus services on the M2 directly to Town Hall. I used to catch this when we were meant to be in the office. Its easy and very convenient.

If your working in Parra even better. Just go onto Windsor Rd and your there in 10mins. If your wife wants to catch a train you can go to Seven Hills or since your going to Parra anyway just drop her off at Parra station. Express trains to city from Seven Hills and Parra every 15mins or so.

I haven't been back in the office now for 18 months or close to it. My company is not forcing anyone back and by the looks of it we are closing many of our offices and WFH or work remotely is a permanent arrangement now.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I don't specifically follow BH...my advise is watch what it does carefully over the next 3-6 months. I reckon...it will come off... too many people paid way too much there.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Its a 2.2mill suburb now and I don't think that demand is going to ease up in Cherrybrook. Or if it does, it won't be enough to be in the OP's budget. It's the highly regarded high school plus the train line that has made it so popular. Same with Castle Hill, the train access has made it so popular now.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  5. KingCantona7

Thanks.
    Agree WFH is looking more and more like a permanent thing now.

Never thought of the Seven Hills options , thanks for that too

6. KingCantona7

Thanks.
    We did see a few properties with our budget pop up in older parts of Kellyville ( land greater than 600sqm and older property) , however wife didn't like the suburb due to lack of trees and greenery as compared to BH/Hornsby

7. OzCroc

OzCroc Active Member

OMG OP, your story is exactly the same as mine but just that we are not renting and living in our own unit. Hornsby area (as other areas) has become so expensive within a year. We had money to buy a house 12 months ago and feel so foolish that we didn't buy it.

Anyway, we are looking in the same area as you - haven't tried BH but heard that its a good suburb too. I tried the Ponds and Kellyville Ridge and lack of greenery is really putting me off. We might end up buying there given the current location has just become so unaffordable. All the best to you and your family, hopefully you can live in the area you love. We might even bump into each other as some auction :p

KingCantona7 likes this.
  8. KingCantona7

Pu
    Thanks OzCroc, please do update where you end up buying.
    I am still contemplating but been hearing nice things about BH.

What's the feedback on the ground in Ponds ? Any increase in stock ?

9. OzCroc

OzCroc Active Member

I wouldn't say the stock as increased but some nice options are available for our budget which is similar to yours. I liked the area around the lake as its more established/green compared to say - the area which is close to Riverbank Public School. I didn't like the school as much, it has good rating but has 1k+ students and was put off by seeing so many demountable class rooms. School is not an issue in Hornsby area - not sure waiting another 6 months would do any good to us as we will be under a lot of pressure due to older child starting school in 2023.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  10. KingCantona7

Thanks, I agree it is the same for us.
    Schools are a big factor ,although I am not knowledgeable enough to explain how schools are ranked and if it makes a huge difference between a school with a score of 99 vs 95.(or 92)

11. Gockie

Just going to say, your child/children are unlikely to get into Baulkham Hills High School unless they do brilliantly in the entrance exams. Even if they live next door, it doesn’t give them the right to attend the school.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

KingCantona7 likes this.
  13. KingCantona7

Thanks, I understand it is a selective school

I am not worried about High schools for now and based on primary schools, BH schools all look to be good

OzCroc likes this.
  14. OzCroc

OzCroc Active Member

Given OP's situation with 3.5 year old kid, I don't think High school is a concern now.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  15. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

My kids are at high school now in upper north shore and looking back, I think most if not all primary schools in Hornsby region and surrounding are fine. The gap between one school and another is not much - some schools can have better academic result but might not have much space for them to play for example. It won’t make a big difference for primary school ages between those schools. I would choose the area where you have a good feel, parks, transport to where you need to go, lifestyle, etc and won’t fixate on primary schools.

I do think high school is more important though to choose the right one if you can - not just academic but also friends that can impact them more.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  16. Gockie

7 years of primary goes fast, and you don't really want to switch your kids to a school midway where they don't know anybody. Some kids would be fine, but others would suffer. So, its not a bad idea to check the area has good high schools that the students can attend.

17. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

All 3 of my children went to Jasper Road primary. It is a great school.
    Across the road are the 2 grounds as well, very good for Soccer and Cricket.

The other primary school nearby is Matthew Pearce. It is very highly regarded.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  18. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

At your price range at Cherrybrook, you would be looking at 3 bedroom duplex. But if you buy there in Cherrybrook Technology High School zone, your primary and high school needs are all taken care of. CTHS is one of the best non-selective comprehensive high school in NSW.

Zokie and KingCantona7 like this.
  19. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

You will find some houses in both Hornsby or Baulkham Hills in your budget of $1.5-$1.6m but these are going to be very old and run down houses (basically knock down rebuild stock) and these houses become very hard to sell when markets soften. I remember seeing a few of Baulko houses making it to ‘Selling Houses Australia’ for being too hard to sell and in need of urgent uplift.

Buy a decent sized house in a more popular suburb (even if further out west) like Kellyville, The Ponds, North Kellyville etc.. and you will have much better chance of trading up to Castle Hill and Cherrybrook when your kids are high school age.

A $1.6m house in Kellyville will always outperform a $1.6m house in Baulkham Hill or Hornsby and you will have a decent house to live in for next few years.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  20. KingCantona7

Thanks, any thoughts on the school?
    Thanks a lot.
    I am not a fan of MP despite their ranking has 1500 kids
    Looking more around Jasper road and Crestwood.