NSW Hornsby or Baulkham Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by KingCantona7, 23rd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KingCantona7

KingCantona7 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Need some guidance from experts.

We are a family of three, with a 3.5 year old, starting school in 2023 .

Currently renting and looking at buying our first home with a budget of 1.5 to 1.6m
    Currently looking at all suburbs between Hornsby to carlingford and Baulkham Hills.

Of everything I have seem so far, Baulkham Hills seems to be having good options at that price range.

HORNSBY seems to be having no options in that price range, whereas B.H has a lot of properties available ?

Can anyone share any insights into B.H as a suburb to raise a family , travel to the CBD etc.

I've never lived outside Hornsbyshire so not much idea about B.H

Also any other suburbs to consider at that price range ?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Where do you live now?

3. KingCantona7

Renting in Hornsby

Tired of renting, hence looking to buy

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like Baulkham Hills. I guess the drawback is the public transport isn't as good as other Hills and many Northern Sydney Suburbs (no trains). There may be the odd M2 bus service but there wouldn't be too many services running.

I feel it's family friendly and definitely under the radar compared to Castle Hill.

5. KingCantona7

Thanks Gockie.
    Any thoughts on what areas within BH are better ? I can see it is quite a huge suburbs. Are areas near to Castle hills better than the Seven hills road side ?

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I personally like the part near to North Rocks. But, other people will be more familiar with all parts of Baulkham Hills.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

If you wait another 6 months...there will be a lot more choices for your budget.

8. KingCantona7

Thanks Sash

I hope you are right.

As a first home buyer, last few months have been stressful.
    Any thoughts on Baulkham Hills though ?

9. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

If you’re comfortable living in Hornsby and know the area quite well say good vs average streets, you should go for Hornsby surrounds as Hornsby is comparatively better than BH imo say north shore vs hills

Suggest Hornsby heights or Asquith as both primary schools are good especially Hornsby north, more family friendly suburbs IMO

KingCantona7 likes this.
  10. KingCantona7

Thanks ndpjai, appreciate your comments.
    My only concern being I cannot find anything in hornsby/Asquith with my budget. Any decent property is going around 1.8 or above at the moment .hopefully more stock will ease it a bit

11. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

KingCantona7 likes this.
  12. KingCantona7

Thanks again.
    I did see the one in Queens road and the asking is 1.55 which I feel is not worth due to the small land size.
    Agree with you that I may have to compromise and we are ready to buy something needing Reno

13. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

For a family and for your price bracket Baulkham Hills hands down. You will have to settle for a very basic house though at your price.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-baulkham+hills-138078142

Its a superb family suburb and Baulkham Hills high is like the 2nd best school I think in the entire of Sydney. Always one of the top performing for many many years already.

Or even Winston Hills. Very very quite and nice area to raise a family. Great access to the M4, Windsor and Old Windsor Rds, Near Parra and Castle Towers, Close to all amenities you want and some superb schools. If you got the money The Kings School where some of the most affluent Sydneysiders attend is down the road.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  14. KingCantona7

Thanks, appreciate your response .

I am at the moment inclined to buy in Baulkham Hills purely based on price alone. We did inspect something this week and can definitely see listings increasing.
    Any thoughts on what parts within Baulkham Hills are better ? Any pockets to avoid ?
    Thanks.

15. thunderstrike888

Its Baulkham Hills. There are NO pockets to avoid. LOL

I've been here 20+ years now. Its a great suburb to live and raise a family in no matter where you are.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  16. KingCantona7

Thanks again.
    No offence, I am just so new to BH. Have rented all my life in Australia around Hornsby , never had a reason to visit BH other than drive through on Windsor road.
    Last week we inspected some and really loved the area around Crestwood reserve and the side towards North Rocks.

17. thunderstrike888

You got zero to worry about in the entire Hills suburbs. (i.e) Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Castle Hill, Bella Vista, Norwest etc etc......they are all very family oriented suburbs and as safe as your ever going to get in Sydney. There is a reason why these suburbs are so highly sought after with families.

I prefer the side of Baulkham Hills towards Winston Hills Mall. There are older homes but have tonnes more character. I hate new builds with a passion and with your budget its perfect you can slowly renovate and update it. Buying newer builds your paying premium for shiny things whilst having an ugly square block looking house (which is how they are all designed these days).

You want a heritage character home they are absolutely beautiful. They dont get built like that these days.

KingCantona7 likes this.
  18. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

May be add Cherrybrook to your list, great primary and high school next to each other and no pressure to crack selective exam for kids. 30 mins in metro to city once the metro line gets extended. Above your price point right now but who knows like Sash said... May be wait for bit and see how market plays...

Travelbug and KingCantona7 like this.
  19. KingCantona7

Thanks. Will check that out too
    And yes, we did see some older properties that needed renovation. We are definitely eyeing something that needs a bit of work, that way hopefully we can add some value

20. KingCantona7

Thanks for your reply.
    Cherrybrook and Beecroft were my initial thoughts, but easily got out priced.
    But yes, I really hope sash is correct and market evens out a bit.