NSW Hornsby and Kogarah - 2 bedder

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hatake88, 9th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hatake88

hatake88 Member

Hey guys

Been looking for my first 2-bedder apartment. Budget is around 600-750k.

I've had friend suggest Hornsby and Kogarah. Hornsby for the infrastructure (train) and amenities (Westfield) and because its relatively leafy. Kogarah due to its convenience and price and because its close to the CBD. However, I have also heard that both suburbs are starting to get over developed (Kogarah especially) which worries me on a valuation front.

I am mainly looking for a place to live in - at least for the next 2-3 years then maybe rent out. Looking to sell it down the track (maybe 5-10 years) so hoping for capital gain as well. I work in the CBD and have to go in thrice a week (well after the lockdown ends). That's a factor but google maps tells me the train from Hornsby is 45 minutes which...is doable I guess?

What do people think of these suburbs? Especially when compared to a Lane Cove for example which I think is traditionally seen as a safer bet (but the apartments there are so much more expensive + smaller though).

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Buy a house in Brisbane. Or maybe Mount Druitt area. Rent it out. And rent where you want to live. I just think the capital growth might not be great in 5 or 10 years for apartments.

Hetty likes this.
  3. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

My option definitely Hornsby very leafy and peaceful suburb compared to kogarah

4. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

Both Hornsby and Kogarah are fine, but buy older blocks. In the case of Hornsby, with your budget I would buy a three bedder in the low $700k mark (as opposed to a two bedder). Hornsby is a family suburb and three bedder rents well in the event that you want to turn this into an IP down the track.

5. NG.

NG. Well-Known Member

I would suggest kogarah. Yes I own an IP in Kogarah.

My validations
    - kogarah to cbd is 20-25mim commute via train. Hornsby into city js easily 40 minutes.
    - even the distance to cbd is much shorter. You can get into the city as quick as 20minutes depending on the time. Realistically it's 30-35min. Shorter than Horsnby
    - Hornsby as your friend mentioned is close to Westfield's. That's it? Kogarah you have Hurstville Westfield's right next door. Kogarah is going through a bit retail revamp. If you go there, there is a big multicultural strip of eateries. Hurstville if you want anything Asian related!
    - from a rental perspective, I've always had a tenant in mine over the past 7 years. Always been medical.related because of the several hospitals plus all medical related suites nearby also.
    - I do agree with you, that it is becoming and over developed suburb. However the infrastructure is sound IMO that traffic can move in and out easily given the many and multiple avenues in and out. It isn't restricted to one or two corridors to get out for example Wolli Creek.

Overall, the proximity to city means less commute for yourself, the vast range of options for the eateries is a big plug, and finally the area with many medical related opportunities is a great catchment for future tenants.

As I mentioned I do own an IP in Kogarah, but I felt I validated the reasons above as to why I would recommend Kogarah over Hornsby.

6. Dave777

Dave777 Member

They are both overdeveloped - for that price I’d try to buy a house out in the sticks and rent where I want to live. Or if you really have to buy a unit in one of those areas, buy in a very low rise building (ideally 2 storeys), so at least there’s the potential for future redevelopment.