NSW Hornsby 2077 - Can you smell the wastewater treatment plant?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by CapitalFlight, 28th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CapitalFlight

CapitalFlight Member

I'm interested in properties in Hornsby, including West Hornsby which is closer to the bush.

Ignoring the bushfire risk, does anyone know much about the Hornsby Wastewater Treatment plant and whether the odours of sewage and filthy water are contained, or do smells waft out into the general vicinity?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't live in Hornsby, but can say that I've never smelt anything whenever I've been in the area.

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I used to visit friends in Lochinvar Place only 100-200 metres from the plant. Never smelt anything and friends didn't comment adversely about the plant.

4. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

I live in Hornsby Heights and passed by that plant a few times and even played soccer with kids in the park next to it a couple of times and did not smell anything. It’s quite a hilly area though near the plant.

5. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

6. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I have been to sports fields not far from the plant and haven't smelt anything. However, I have smelt really bad odours on the bush trails between Cherrybrook and Hornsby due to leaks in pipes feeding the plant passing through the bush. I am not sure whether winds will carry those smells to parts of Hornsby or not but I haven't smelt anything from the Cherrybrook side.

I used to travel past Homebush treatment plan and could smell the odours from 200-300m every time but my wife never smelt a thing so it really varies from person to person and how sensitive they are to smells and odours.

7. hornsbybreadman

hornsbybreadman New Member

The odour management around these plants is generally quite good, but not sure whats happened recently at the West Hornsby plant, but I live up Rosemead road towards the park and I have been getting wiffs recently. I talked to someone near the plant when down at the playground there and they said its something with the tertiary treatment or something like that. Hope it gets better. I will try and find out more from Sydney Water.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Aug, 2021
  8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

9. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

Bit of an old thread but for anyone concerned.

I have been in Hornsby Heights 15 years and my wife over 30 years. We live near the public school which sits top of the street with the sewerage works. Wouldn't even know it was there. Only in the past week have we had a smell and there was blockage from everyone being at home and influx of new residents to the area.

Received letter in the mail sydney water are working on the fixing the issue. Been ok past few days now.

10. Galore

Galore Member

I live in Hornsby.No I never sle
    I live in Hornsby and never had a whiff of it.

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Smells like Victory

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Report them! I do.
    Many creeks have a sewer main running parallel to them as they're obviously the lowest land around and good spots to gravity flow to.

As for the WWTP, it doesn't smell that bad, I kind of like the smell of secondary treatment (biological), though primary can be pretty smelly.
    But yes, I've got way too many stories about poo to tell, that I won't go into right now.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.