Honest agents

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by marty998, 29th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Unit next door to mine is for sale. Well presented, well marketed, very reasonable price expectations (8% below the advertised price of another unit in the building for sale, and 5% below an offer that was made on that other unit recently).

Asked the agent how the sales campaign is going so far after two weeks.

“Nothing. Not a single enquiry or anyone through the door”.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Nothing”

Sign of the times? That was mildly refreshing. I’ll bet if I was an interested buyer he would have said there’s lots of activity. Perhaps when looking to buy just say you’re a sticky beaking neighbour with no interest and you’ll get the honest truth.

Ayman mansour and Tyla like this.
  2. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

Do you mind me asking which area or suburb in Sydney?

qak likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

One time I went to an open and it was dead quiet. No intention to buy, I was a neighbour. Ended up just talking to the agent for the 30 minutes about the property market while the house was open. Seened like an honest guy.

Anyway, the following week, I was driving to go to my sister's house for a visit. I like to see opens so we did that on the way. Yes, again, no intention to buy. Here was this same agent, but wow, the house!!!!

My partner and I really liked it. So we made an offer on it. Later, the vendors accepted our offer. I guess there was no better offer, but we had to wait 3 weeks before it was accepted. :)

Anyway, I feel the agency worked for us.... as a buyer, I was happy. Agency would have been happy as they got a sale.

Definitely a more buyer friendly agent than I've seen for many others, for sure.

Last edited: 30th Aug, 2020
    marty998 likes this.
  4. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Sutherland Shire. Very nice down here

Confused2020 and Tyla like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, one of the houses I bought a few years back had an interesting agent - maybe because we popped in for a look (not really intending to buy) and he was listening to the sound of crickets (NOT the cricket!)

It was one of those POA ads - which in Melbourne usually means "don't bother - we are asking for a lot". Anyway, as you do, we asked the "so how much is the vendor looking for?" question... He started talking and I noticed that with every sentence he spoke, the asking price kept coming down .... :confused: It's been on the market a while (we knew that), the owner was needing to go back overseas urgently (thank you for the info!), people aren't really interested (o_O)....

Sold....

The Y-man

marty998, craigc and Gockie like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I wonder why the vendors didn't just put a price on it? Because clearly the current strategy wasn't working.

Tyla likes this.
  7. Confused2020

Confused2020 Member

I'm from the Sutherland shire and been dealing with a particular real estate agent that I think is honest. So they do exist... or maybe the same person