Homes with small frontage

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Mystyic33, 8th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mystyic33

Mystyic33 Active Member

Hi guys,

Just a quick one - what are the drawbacks of investing in a home with a small frontage (~10m)? Does it impact it's resale value?

I've been eyeing a property which has been on the market for almost a month, I'm assuming it's not selling because of it's small frontage.

Thanks!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It depends where it is. Small frontage is probably accepted in Sydney's Inner West but perhaps not so much in say Blacktown LGA.

ndpjai likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

comes back to design, I have seen this work but if not done well there will most certainly be issues and of course research on the ground as to what buyers want? connecting the dots, start with phoning lots of agents for opinions etc. and trying to find comparable sales, may difficult but its a start

highlighter likes this.
  4. Mystyic33

Mystyic33 Active Member

Thanks guys, the property is in the inner west. I was just concerned because it's been on the market for almost a month and apart from it's small frontage everything else seems to be okay.

I've spoken to a few agents and they've only mentioned that the small frontage will mean council won't approve any granny flat developments. My main concern would be how difficult it'll be to resell?

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thats why homework is critical, and resales are important to view/what they achieved

I am not familiar with area mentioned, however rule of thumb, tightly held areas not an issue with re sell as long as the design work ie inner city locations, minimal land/no land.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A month on market - vendor's expectations haven’t been conditioned?

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

A whole month hey? I remember when properties would take 90-120 days to sell. Now there must be some kind of problem with the property if it makes it to the 2nd Open. :)

Granny flats need minimum 12m frontage and 450m2 block size so that cuts out a lot of the Inner West I'd venture to say.

Fair concern. Check other sales in the area and surrounds. There may be other reasons for this one still being on the market.