Homes with Asbestos - Would you buy?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by schmick23, 25th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. schmick23

schmick23 Active Member

Hey all,

I know this question has been asked a number of times with varying responses but would you buy an older home (i.e. 50 - 60 years old) that contained Asbestos if it was say limited to the External walls only and properly cladded with the protective plastic wood look material to protect it? Assuming all other Asbestos has been removed?

Personally, I would typically stay away but unfortunately, looking for a PPOR and in the areas we are looking this is quite common, even if the house has been recently renovated.

I know if it's not been disturbed its generally OK but I guess its the psychological aspect of knowing that it is there and with future kids on the way, even moreso. Additionally, how bad is the impact of it when you want to install say an air-conditioner, etc?

I'm really in two minds, particularly as this is such a major purchase.

I'm also wary of what, if any, potential impact this could have on re-sale.

Any assistance or commentary would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would not want to buy a house where the asbestos cladding had been hidden underneath other cladding. Too dangerous for tradies etc

However, almost every house that is more than 30 years old will have asbestos somewhere. There can be off cut bits in the soil too - I have a few ziplock bags full collected over the years from my place which had a shed clad in asbestos - chippies just tipped the offcuts at the back of the block. But these are pretty easy to spot and collect.

If undisturbed, sealed and in good condition it isn't dangerous, as you say.

However, if you know you will need to cut it for air con etc, I would just replace it with a modern substitute cladding.

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2017
    bob shovel and DaveM like this.
  3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We have asbestos in some of the eaves of the house. We paid for an asbestos inspection prior to purchase due to the age of the property and the prevalent Mr fluffy homes down here (we purchased when some were still being identified). Our house has been renovated a few times in it's life so most of the asbestos was gone.

If you look at renovated older homes you probably reduce your risk. Getting an asbestos inspection isn't that expensive as well and can give you and those that work on your home piece of mind.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Every house more than around 30 years old will contain asbestos sheeting somewhere unless it has been fully renovated WITH ALL ASBESTOS REMOVED. Sadly, unless somehow certified, you will have no way of knowing if the renovation has simply covered over asbestos.

We have renovated two bathrooms. One had all wall sheeting removed, stripped back to the wall studs. The other was a minor renovation and the original walls remain.

We still have asbestos in our home. Treated with respect it will cause no problems.
    Marg

Propertunity likes this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Depends where the asbestos is? Don't mind if it's in the eves or in a few small spots (bathroom). But a full asbestos weatherboard house would be a no go for me. My wife worries about it and I wonder how long it will be before it becomes friable or legislation is introduce that mandates removal.

Some of this stuff is getting very old now.

6. schmick23

schmick23 Active Member

Reading the provided Building/Pest Report, the inspector notes that in respect of the External Walls “cladding material appears to have been installed over the previous asbestos cement cladding”.

Yeah, Building/Pest Report notes that there may be some loose asbestos or similar material that has been deposited in the sub floor. I suspect from the renovation. Can't imagine too hard to remove and dispose of properly by somebody qualified. Only a small little bit.

Kassy, any idea if you can recall how much this cost? Can they identify without having to remove and test? What's the time-frame for such an inspection. Unfortunately, left my run a little late (been overseas on holiday) and house is going for auction Saturday (4/11).

Also, does anybody know if to ascertain a DA for a renovation in Sydney (Northern Beaches) if an Asbestos inspection would need to be carried out prior to the DA being approved? Perhaps I could ask the Vendor for such information?

7. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I think our inspection only cost about $200? We had to get permission from the seller in case samples were needed to be tested. They took one sample from a wall, they took it from inside a cupboard so not obvious. They could tell the eaves were asbestos from visual inspection. From what the inspector said, some asbestos is obvious but some you do need to get samples and testing...

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Be aware that method and cost of removal can vary too. We have had the same company remove asbestos from three houses. For one house, he couldn't easily tell (visually) what type of asbestos it was, so my son took small samples (size of a 50 cent piece) from the two areas that were in question to a test lab and had them analysed.

Had it been the "bad" type, instead of usual removal with the usual precautions, this area of his house would have had to be enclosed in plastic with continuous controlled air pressure into the sealed area and a safety officer on duty while the job was being done, and specific air testing done after and before the plastic could be removed. That area (roughly the size of say three bedrooms) would have increased the quote by about $10k from memory.

Luckily it was not the bad (worst) type and the whole removal (upstairs and downstairs - equivalent to a small house I'd say - walls only, ceilings were plaster) was about $9k from memory (just over three years ago).

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2017
  9. schmick23

schmick23 Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly aware of the potential for additional cost.

Just spoke with the agent who spoke with the Vendor. Apparently, when they were removing some of the panels during the renovation, the sheeting had a green sticker on it which apparently indicates that the product did not contain Asbestos.

Has anybody heard of such a thing?

10. wylie

Call an asbestos removal place. I was told there are ways to tell by the printed words on the back (style of the printing can indicate the date of manufacture if you know what you are looking for) but I cannot recall the details.

Any reputable asbestos removal company should be able to help you regarding the sticker.

If in any doubt, get a small piece tested.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

plenty of time!
    my wife found out all the info approx costs, times, durations, etc etc in about 6 phone calls to a few different companies.

from memory they can remove 100m2 per day (roof). cost $7000 to remove 150m2.
    I do not know exactly how accurate. but i'd say $10k to cover yourself.

12. bob shovel

get a key or thumb tac and see if you can penetrate. asbestos is good stuff*

Kassy likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A thumb tack is not a proper or reliable test!

It also may degrade the asbestos and increase the chance that you or others are put at risk.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, some sheets years ago had stickers during the period of transition away from asbestos.

But do not rely on this tale from the agent/vendor because some parts of the house may have been renovated later than others during the transitional period; others may have been built with asbestos earlier. Some sheets in the same room may have asbestos, some may not.

The only way to tell is by a test by a qualified lab.

15. bob shovel

Yeah frank from the pub told me
    Really? Grab a set of keys and look at the surface area.then push into a wall asbestos won't indent if it is asbestos so risk is microscopic

16. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Its a touchy topic asbestos
    Personally ive never heard of anyone getting asbestosis who didnt have a prolonged exposure to it.
    Not saying it cant happen though?

17. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Hard to say with a PPOR as it will come down to 'how you feel' knowing you are living with asbestos around you - even if untouched.

Investment wise - will have little to no bearing as they still appreciate in line with the suburb average over time

An IP I bought had asbestos all over - walls, eaves, ceiling, even fences. When we did the reno/landscaping we found quite a lot of asbestos offcuts just beneath the grass surface probably from bits left behind when the house was being built in the 60's.

Still made money on it but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable living there.

18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My PPOR is fibro exterior and a couple of internal walls in kitchen are also fibro. Interior otherwise is horsehair plaster or masonite lining as its an old 1930s place, new colorbond roof and eaves etc are timber.

Exterior has years of paint covering it, and I paid an excellent removal company to do some removal in kitchen during recent reno. So it doesnt bother me a bit. You are aware of it and treat it accordingly.

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Would you really decide the wall lining wasn't asbestos - and choose not to wear a mask etc - based just on whether a key makes an indent?

I have some cement sheet wall lining that I know doesn’t have asbestos (because I had it tested). And pushing keys into it doesn't make a dent!

20. wylie

The asbestos guys do use a key pushed in as a very simple test, but I know in my son's case, there was doubt about the "newer" asbestos in a downstairs area, that was required to be tested before they could work out how it needed to be treated.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia