Home Theatres

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 8th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

When are you going to the movies, in the 90's? I can only dream of the time when a movie ticket was $7.50. My local Hoyts has tickets for Star Wars on Tuesday for $17.70 if I book online right now. If I lob up on the day, $16.50. :eek:

If I wanted to go tonight, $25.70. ouch! :(

2. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Limelight cinema, Tuggeranong Hyperdome. $7.50 for a ticket on cheap Tuesdays :D

Perthguy likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    It's true that many people with a 55-65 " screen and a soundbar or Home Theatre in a box think they have a Home Theatre, when in reality they have a living room... but nevertheless, the move to larger screens and surround sound via AVR and speakers, HTIB or soundbars is well entrenched

And with the continued advent of streaming services, going to the movies can be an at home experience more and more these days - latest release content aside , of course

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Use my HT every night, about 4 hours a night, love watching sport and documentaries.

Let the wife in on Saturday nights for a date night and a romantic movie.

The wife has her friends over during the day on a regular basis and they watch girls movies.

Couldn't live without it!!!!

Big Will likes this.
  5. euro73

Is it a real HT with projector, or a big screen /media room set up?

6. kierank

@euro73, I am not sure :) :).

I have a Epson projector, monster screen (can't remember the size but I think it's 105 inch), ceiling, walls, speakers, air-conditioner outlets painted in moody lavender (love that colour), colour-matched, custom-built cabinet to house all the equipment and DVDs (which are catalogued on an iPad app so we know which drawer they are in, whether we have already watched it, etc), 8 x black leather reclining seats with drink holders, 2 rows of 4 seats, the back row is on a raised deck with a LED strip along the tread, block out curtains and carpet to match the wall/ceiling paint, soundproofing on the walls and ceiling, all lights, curtains and equipment controlled from iPad, ...

Yep, it is a real HT

BTW, on State of Origin nights, I have a rush of mates who want to drop over. I only let my best 7 mates who are QUEENSLAND supporters over. We have had a large number of great nights in the last few years :) :). Looking forward to this year as well.

Last edited: 30th Jan, 2016
    HUGH72 likes this.
  7. euro73

I was enjoying reading that until I realised you were a Queenslander! :)

kierank and Big Will like this.
  8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Cineplex - OUR PRICES

Doesn't help you in Perth though. :p

9. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I don't have to dream - matinee weekend prices are still around $7 in San Antonio. :)

I think decisions made for your own home vs investment properties is different. If a devoted home threatre room is something you want......go for it. The same argument can be had with swimming pools.

I view my home not in investment terms - but rather it providing me with my wants/needs....within affordability means.

I really don't care if my investment in a swimming pool isn't going to increase the value of my home significantly when it comes time to sell. It's long term. I have to live there. And what I do to and within my own home is about my enjoyment.

kierank, Perthguy and Tyler Durden like this.
  10. kierank

@euro73 I was going to invite you up for the next game in May until I read this post. Now that I see you are from NSW, I have permanently reserved a seat in your honour!!!!

euro73 and Big Will like this.
  11. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Been to Rocky Horror lately?!